A&H

Tottenham - Chelsea

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Flaring up and the red/not red looked messy.

That’s not a VAR failure at all as it gets to the right place eventually- the shove by Ziyech is at the shoulder first and caroms into his face.

If that’s red for VC needs to be down straight away before the yellows. Seemed to take an age to get the red out and then immediately called to the monitor.

The Referee Store
Now... That was interesting.

Was a that a yellow given via VAR through a long winded process?

Long VAR delay. Nothing comes of it.

Ref randomly gives red card, after cautioning everything his team saw.

VAR intervenes to lower red to a yellow.

I know technically VAR can't give a yellow,.but that is what that looked like.

Flaring up and the red/not red looked messy.

That’s not a VAR failure at all as it gets to the right place eventually- the shove by Ziyech is at the shoulder first and caroms into his face.

If that’s red for VC needs to be down straight away before the yellows. Seemed to take an age to get the red out and then immediately called to the monitor.
Can you merge my thread to this one?

But the protocol and order of things and timing was crazy.

Atwell talked with Cann, gave the two other YCs, waited an age, talked with VAR, then gave the red, then went to the screen, then downgraded to YC.

Looked to me like Atwell wanted YC from the start and used VAR to “sell” the decision to the crowd. Crazy.

Also plausible.

Very “creative” and would be great to hear the audio.

It looks like Attwell knew it was a red but none of the on-pitch officials saw who had done it. VAR told him it was Ziyech, which has let him show red, then VAR tell him to go and have a look and he sees that it deflects off his shoulder so decides it was only yellow. Pretty sure that isn't allowed in VAR protocol, but that has come from Sky who have access to the VAR audio.

The assistant appeared to tell the referee that the initial foul was committed by Havertz, not Ziyech—though it was clearly Ziyech who clattered Richarlison. So Ziyech should have gotten the first yellow. Then even if the slap is only a yellow, it should have been the the second and a sending off. Shambolic.

The assistant appeared to tell the referee that the initial foul was committed by Havertz, not Ziyech—though it was clearly Ziyech who clattered Richarlison. So Ziyech should have gotten the first yellow. Then even if the slap is only a yellow, it should have been the the second and a sending off. Shambolic.
The yellow is for Havertz trip though? That is what the ref seemed to point to.

The yellow is for Havertz trip though? That is what the ref seemed to point to.
Yes. The first Che YC is for Havertz and the blatant attempt to hack with no possibility to play the ball. Ziyech then comes in and also fouls but the yellow is clearly correct for Havertz.

Back