A&H

Two whistles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the majority of you lot posting on here can't vary your tone on one whistle?

It's a sad day for refereeing.......

In what possible way does that say that? No one here by using two whistles has said they can't vary tone and I'm sure you'll find most can.

If you use a sonik blast at full pelt... Then try and get the same "tone" out of the classic?

The Referee Store
I do have difficulty getting a tone out of classic but on mass confrontations that what sonic good for classic I get it up to a normal good tone but for me on a mass confrontation forget it

Avoid yellow and red and colours that may look that way from a distance, lime green for instance.
Reasoning is that when you tell the keeper you're going "on the whistle" holding your whistle up it can look like a card from a distance. Can cause a problem with the dugouts for an AR at the dead end.

I'm baffled at how a whistle can look like a card?

Few things

1. I don't make a habit of eating my cards, why are they near my mouth? Or heading to my mouth?

2. My cards don't make a noise?

3. If you are getting confused from a distance then I'd suggest you have glasses it contacts, not me change whistle colour?

4. A whistle is tiny? My hand literally swamps it

And quite frankly I'd be embarrassed to have an AR that can't distinguish the 2...

It has nothing to do with an AR seeing it. Take this scenario. You've just awarded a free kick just outside the box, spoken to the defender then told the keeper you're going on the whistle and hold up something yellow or red. No one apart from those in proximity will have heard you. When you show a card do you turn it so that everyone at the ground sees it? No you don't. So from some angles it's tiny and your hand will literally swamp it.
I've seen it done and even noted the caution in my book as did an assessor on the day. As with a number of other threads why go looking for trouble?
The referee in question changed his whistle the following week.

For a start i would never raise hand to notify keeper to go on whistle as this could be misread as an IDFK signal.

And no one should ever mistake a whistle for a card...

When you show a card do you turn it so that everyone at the ground sees it? No you don't.
Yes, I do as it so happens!

I use two Fox 40 classic whistles. One is black (FAMOA) and one is luminous orange. I went from L7-L4 (and the assessments at L4) using a variety of coloured whistles, including yellow, and was never once ushered away from it.

My orange whistle is in fact part of my pre-match instruction.

At the level I was officiating last season, players had started to clock on to the fact that referees will indicate to their assistants to 'raise the game' for a five minute period or so and would then act upon it (normally in an attempt to get an opponent cautioned). To counter this, I would go 'orange whistle time' which meant I wasn't playing advantage, I was killing the game dead and slowing it right down. I would indicate the whistle to my AR's so they knew to do likewise.

I was complimented for this by a number of people in refereeing, from active referees to those running NRDP groups and even someone at The FA.

So, yes - you can use coloured whistles!

*rant over*

I think there must be one particular assessor/tutor in Darren's area who doesn't like coloured whistles.......so has 'encouraged' referees not to use them.

I see nothing wrong with coloured whistles, I have been encouraged to use one before because it gives a small indication of you being human and its the only piece of kit/equipment you can personalise, I have used a yellow one in the past and if an assistant mistaken it for a caution, I would personally stop them from refereeing till they had seen an optician!

I think there must be one particular assessor/tutor in Darren's area who doesn't like coloured whistles.......so has 'encouraged' referees not to use them.
If that's the only thing that the assessor has picked up as a development area, then whoever the referee is has had a world class game!

wont lie, i saw the mass of messages this morning and thought i was in for a barrage of abuse!! phew!

im intruiged on the operation of the 2 whistles for raising the game...may have to look at this further

Well if your able to get high pitch tone out your whistle charlie then I'd say there no need for 2 whistles

I haven't said don't use coloured whistles. I've suggested staying away from Red/Yellow.
Dan good idea about raising the game on your coloured whistle. I know quite a few AR's around here that would never know as they live in their own little world and eye to eye is a foreign concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back