A&H

U8 handball threshold

BlindButFair

I am a new ref and keen to get some input into the threshold for calling a handball for U8s.

For the competition I'm reffing, the official rule is that an indirect free kick should be called when a player "handles the ball deliberately".

Last night I was reffing red vs black:
- red player kicks hard towards black's goal, but definitely not on target
- black defender is around 7-8m away
- ball goes straight at black defender, upper chest/neck area
- defender puts up hands to stop ball hitting him - doesn't attempt to change the ball's direction, doesn't make himself bigger, just has a brain fart really. I don't think it was close enough to call it "point blank" though - he could have jumped up and chested it, or moved sideways and dodged it
- I didn't call it. In retrospect I think I should have either called it or, even better, played advantage since the ball rebounded off him into the PA with red players nearby
- I didn't yell "play on" - I think I should definitely have done this given that I'd decided not to call it
- most players stopped moving, expecting me to call it! Then there was a bit of chaos with some players challenging for the ball, others waiting, red coach shouting at his players to go for the ball, one of the players yelling "but it was a handball!" and red coach shouting "yes it was handball but he hasn't called it! Get moving!!"

So... should I have called it? I know YHTBT but everyone else's reaction suggests I should have. I have tended to be light on the whistle given they're only 8, and he was definitely not trying to gain an advantage by handling the ball, but I do think he had enough time that you could probably say it was deliberate.

How do you approach this? Any tips on handling HBs in U8s?

For what it's worth, earlier in the game a red player also hit the ball with her arm while jumping, but I yelled out "play on, not deliberate" and everyone seemed happy with that.

The Referee Store
The approaches on this will vary by area, as custom and practice come into it (perhaps more than should be the case)
I am guessing that you are not in the UK, so a discussion with local referees who handle that age group regularly would be the most beneficial approach (and with the Appointments Secretary if there is one).
Whether we need a qualified referee for 7-year-old's is perhaps a new thread🤔

Thanks for your reply and yes, I'm in Australia.

Whether we need a qualified referee for 7-year-old's is perhaps a new thread🤔

Heh yes well, that's a good point, and I certainly don't believe we do - and I am pretty sure the vast majority of refs in the competition are not qualified. This includes me, although I am expecting to have my first qualification in a month. I'm just wanting to do a good job anyway! Plus I think it helps the kids to develop if the calls are not completely different from match to match, and from year to year.

If an 8 year old puts their hands up instinctively to protect their face then - unless it’s a final with big teams! - then play on.

You can always explain after to coaches that it is really an offence in real football. But with u8 your job is to facilitate the match and help the kids through it, as much as it is to adhere to the laws;)

A free kick for hand ball at u8 is highly unlikely to result in a goal or result in a lack of match control. I would blow your whistle there as everyone expects you too. It’s part and parcel of players and officials learning about the game and also learning to respect the referee

Back