A&H

Understanding an observation report

Whinyates

Level 6 Referee
Hi all.

On Sunday I had my first ever observation, which was as an AR on a WNL game.
I received my report today and would like some help understanding the total please.
I got 73 (out of I think 100, but not sure?).
There’s no reference though as to what the score means. Is that good or bad, pass or fail etc.
do these scores get taken into consideration when future appointments are made?
Also the comments made by the observer have been done in different colours. Can anyone explain why please?
Thanks I’m advance

The Referee Store
Hi all.

On Sunday I had my first ever observation, which was as an AR on a WNL game.
I received my report today and would like some help understanding the total please.
I got 73 (out of I think 100, but not sure?).
There’s no reference though as to what the score means. Is that good or bad, pass or fail etc.
do these scores get taken into consideration when future appointments are made?
Also the comments made by the observer have been done in different colours. Can anyone explain why please?
Thanks I’m advance
Orange - minor development
Green - major development

Each competency is scored and each section is weighted to give final mark. 73 is not a bad mark

71 is a bit of a worry
72 nothing special, slightly below average
72.5 nae bad
73 must've ticked a few boxes, above average
>73 the observer wants your babies

Didn't know that> never read anyone else's reports! 🧐 ;)
Always found this system bonkers.

Have an absolute stinker, drop the ref in it, be incorrect in Law, mess up a substitution... 70
Get everything spot on, pre- during- and post-match, benches both love you, technically flawless... 74

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Being deliberately obtuse for effect)

Have an absolute stinker, drop the ref in it, be incorrect in Law, mess up a substitution... 70
Get everything spot on, pre- during- and post-match, benches both love you, technically flawless... 74

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aye, any sensible scoring scheme would be 0 to 4 !!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's the same in the UEFA marking system though. Have an expected or good game get an 8.3 or 8.4, have that same performance and make one incorrect KMD and you get 7.9. They don't want promotion and demotion decided on incidents in just one game, rather to be a reflection of the entire season. If a referee keeps getting 7.9s they are going to be in trouble, likewise a referee consistently getting 8.4s might well be going places.

Back