A&H

Urgent Advice - Pitch Inspection 3G/4G

magpie1892

Level 7 Referee
Got a game on 3G/4G pitch tomorrow and the temperature has barely got above 1/2 degrees in the last few days. As its not grass how is best to do a pitch inspection on a 3G/4G to see whether its playable or frozem

Thanks

The Referee Store
With 3G /4g the only thing that really calls a game off is ice. A frozen pitch is lethal, because any water in the pitch freezes the fibres together and stops them moving apart. This makes the pitch a solid lump that's impossible to keep your footing on.
Do a pitch inspection in mounded studs or preferably Astros. Start out slow and cautious and just walk across the surface to see how easy it is. If that's ok then move a bit more quickly but don't go too fast too soon. Pay special attention to areas that don't get much sun.
If the pitch is solid then a game would be risky. If you can't keep your footing while walking then players won't in a game and hitting your head on it can really hurt.
Make the decision on your own. Then maybe take the captains / managers to show them danger areas if the pitch is bad.
If you play and players start slipping don't be afraid to call it off. It's easy to tear something or hit your head. Player safety is the primary concern, and even if they haven't played in weeks they won't thank you if there is a serious injury.

Would you just wear trainers/astros for 3G just like i would if playing 5 a side as presume metal studs wont be allowed.

The owners of the site set their own rules for what's allowed not the league,but I don't think anyone would pay hundreds of thousands of pounds for a decent 3G pitch and then allow players to rip it up so I think a ban on metal tipped studs is universal.
From my own experience I feel that studs don't really work on 3G as well as on grass anyway. I always wear Astros on 3G and I'm sure the players I regularly see sliding around with studs on 6-a-side wish they did as well. Moulded (or blades possibly) work well but find trainers impossible because any moisture means you might as well be wearing roller skates!

I remember once a referee being worried about a previously snow covered 3G pitch....the snow had been cleared.

Between him and the groundsman they came up with this theory that the snow had caused the rubber infill pellets to stick together and that could be dangerous if they went in someone's eye........the looks on their faces when I casually pointed out that they stuck together because they were wet, the same as they do in the rain, and should we be calling games off in future when it rains?

Funnily enough at that point the groundsman suddenly remembered that he had mini tractor with a brush attachment that is used to 'sweep' 3G pitches.....and after a quick run over with that it was game on!

Back