A&H

US vs Mexico - CONCACAF, man!

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
I wasn't kidding a few weeks ago when I said a head-high boot would only be a yellow (if that!) in a CONCACAF match.

Mexico's Hector Herrera goes full Gabriel Jesus on the USA's Eryk Williamson in last night's Gold Cup final. Honduran referee Said Martinez, who did one of the best jobs of controlling a US-Mexico match I've seen for some time, comes flying in with a . . . yellow card. And no one really protested the decision.

We just do things a little differently in CONCACAF!! :D

The Referee Store
I wasn't kidding a few weeks ago when I said a head-high boot would only be a yellow (if that!) in a CONCACAF match.

Mexico's Hector Herrera goes full Gabriel Jesus on the USA's Eryk Williamson in last night's Gold Cup final. Honduran referee Said Martinez, who did one of the best jobs of controlling a US-Mexico match I've seen for some time, comes flying in with a . . . yellow card. And no one really protested the decision.

But he was going for the ball...

Was there VAR in this game?

If you watch the boot to the head clips from UEFA, there are a surprising number of clips that go yellow/borderline. With it being lower force and more the heel to the head, I'm pretty confident that UEFA would prefer a yellow card here. Especially in the Champions League final. There are plenty of examples of OMG CONCACAF, but IMO this isn't one of those examples.

Normally I'd prattle on about slow motion and so on, but when you've gotta go, you have to go; and he should've gone all day long

If you watch the boot to the head clips from UEFA, there are a surprising number of clips that go yellow/borderline. With it being lower force and more the heel to the head, I'm pretty confident that UEFA would prefer a yellow card here. Especially in the Champions League final. There are plenty of examples of OMG CONCACAF, but IMO this isn't one of those examples.

That always surprises me. When we think about the alleged concern for and emphasis on head injuries, it just feels like a play like this can be nothing but red.

Back