A&H

Verbal obstruction.

mattymer

Level 7 Referee
Throw in team A, player team B in acres of space in team A penalty box screams "yes me me me" and duly recieves ball from thrower who doesn't look.

Is this a foul, if so what as ?

I gave foul for verbal obstruction altho now maybe just unsporting behaviour.

The Referee Store
Verbal obstruction? Assume you mean "verbal distraction"
If he did it before the ball was in play it would be a caution for unsporting behaviour i.e. verbal distraction, and a retake of throw in. With ball in play the restart would chang to idfk

If a player is stupid enough to throw the ball to someone without even looking to see who they're throwing it to, I'd be very reluctant to bail them out 😂 but yes, if you deem it verbally distracting the opponent then it would be a caution for the player, and retake the throw-in, as the offence was committed before the throw-in was taken. If you are penalising a player for verbally distracting an opponent while the ball is in play, then it would be a caution and an indirect free kick.

And the key thing here. which I've seen a lot of referees fail to understand, is if you are giving an IDFK it must also be a caution. Just giving the IDFK would be incorrect in law as the offence you are stopping play for is listed as cautionable.

That said, in this situation I might be tempted to temporarily develop selected hearing as it just doesn't feel right that a player should be rewarded for a stupid act of throwing the ball to someone without first looking.

Back