A&H

Warnings

Little Derek

Level 7 Referee
I, I'm new, I've been reading posts for a whole but this is the first time I've joined in.
I'll go back and introduce myself shortly. In my open age game last Sunday I gave an offside, It was clear that the striker that was offside was frustrated and was thinking of kicking the ball away. He was still a few yards from the ball when I shouted "Don't kick it away 9" everyone heard me but he still kicked it away. I called him over and cautioned him. This was about 10-15 minutes in by the way.
Did I do anything wrong? How else could I have handled it? I just want to get a reputation as a strict but fair ref, and nip things.i,e this in the bud, surprise surprise, no one kicked the ball away for the rest of the game.

The Referee Store
I'd say you were spot on, had you not booked him then you'd have made a rod for your own back having shouted the warning. It's the same when you see two players tussling, you shout "hands off him" or something to that to that affect and low and behold one of them is still pulling the others shirt. No arguments when the whistle blows.

During my training we were told its proactive management. Being vocal to avoid needing to use your whistle all the time and more so do your best to avoid bringing out red and yellow cards which costs players money they can't afford. So this seems like a great example of this. Other ones we were told is if the keeper is holding onto the ball too long give him a shout to hurry up rather than giving free kicks etc. this an even better skill to use at youth level as most of the time you're teaching rather than just officiating. I remember an under 11 game where I gave a back pass and essentially myself and both managers had to give a mini lesson on what a back pass was and how the free kick should be taken!

Alternatively, in OA, clubs, players, and managers can start to take responsibility for their actions instead of blaming referees?

Alternatively, in OA, clubs, players, and managers can start to take responsibility for their actions instead of blaming referees?

But human nature says people will look to blame someone else than address their own failings. Even as referees we will blame stupid players for getting sent off etc, but I'm sure some players will pin point things we could have done better to avoid a red card situation from happening.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's human nature. And when people aren't coming from an impartial point of view it's easier said than done to take responsibility for their own actions.

All that said I do personally agree with your post.

But human nature says people will look to blame someone else than address their own failings. Even as referees we will blame stupid players for getting sent off etc, but I'm sure some players will pin point things we could have done better to avoid a red card situation from happening.
I think that depends on state of mind & thought process actually.
Personally, I hate(d) giving red cards, to the extent where I, very much wrongly looking back, sometimes incorrectly didn't RC someone.
I went 3 seasons without a red card (doesn't apply to sentence above), 2 of which were promotion/assessment seasons to get my L4. I like to think that this was, partly, due to my management of players and the game.
When I broke this cycle and gave a red card (by which point I was L4), I was incredibly hyper-critical of myself and analysed if there was anything I could have done better/differently to keep 11v11 - to the extent that I had long conversations with my AR's from the day, the assessor from the day and my mentor.
Whenever I was forced to give a red card, I felt that it was ME who'd failed to do my job in management of players and never blamed the players.

I do think you're right though Dave, everyone looks to blame someone for everything!

The only person responsible for red cards is the player themselves.

As referee's we may well make mistakes from time to time, but that is not carte blanche for players to shout, swear, gesticulate or otherwise be a complete numpty........we don't abuse them when they make mistakes do we?

Likewise, no one forces a player to make a knee high challenge, or swing for their opponents.......

If they don't like the cherry, then don't do things that attract it.

During my training we were told its proactive management. Being vocal to avoid needing to use your whistle all the time and more so do your best to avoid bringing out red and yellow cards which costs players money they can't afford. So this seems like a great example of this. Other ones we were told is if the keeper is holding onto the ball too long give him a shout to hurry up rather than giving free kicks etc. this an even better skill to use at youth level as most of the time you're teaching rather than just officiating. I remember an under 11 game where I gave a back pass and essentially myself and both managers had to give a mini lesson on what a back pass was and how the free kick should be taken!

Help - I've looked through my lotg hundreds of times and I still can't find anything about a back pass!

I, I'm new, I've been reading posts for a whole but this is the first time I've joined in.
I'll go back and introduce myself shortly. In my open age game last Sunday I gave an offside, It was clear that the striker that was offside was frustrated and was thinking of kicking the ball away. He was still a few yards from the ball when I shouted "Don't kick it away 9" everyone heard me but he still kicked it away. I called him over and cautioned him. This was about 10-15 minutes in by the way.
Did I do anything wrong? How else could I have handled it? I just want to get a reputation as a strict but fair ref, and nip things.i,e this in the bud, surprise surprise, no one kicked the ball away for the rest of the game.

what if you only did it for one team and not the other...because one team was totally disciplined and the other team wasn't...discuss

That was absolutely the right decision and you sent a clear message: you're going to try and work with the players but if they refuse to work with you, you will use the tools at your disposal.

I was taught and Indeed try to have open dialougue with the players, but at the end of the day i dont overly advise the players of what they should/nt do as its their game. We have to be impartial as match officials!!

I was taught and Indeed try to have open dialougue with the players, but at the end of the day i dont overly advise the players of what they should/nt do as its their game. We have to be impartial as match officials!!

Drop ball is the only time I try and steer what happens. As it's clearly one of those instances players are close to each other kicking at each other. So i tend to use the line "I'm not in a position to tell you what to do, but the sporting thing to do would be to knock it back to their keeper. However you can do what you want." Obviously I only use that in the appropriate situation.

Drop ball is the only time I try and steer what happens. As it's clearly one of those instances players are close to each other kicking at each other. So i tend to use the line "I'm not in a position to tell you what to do, but the sporting thing to do would be to knock it back to their keeper. However you can do what you want." Obviously I only use that in the appropriate situation.

personally, 'don't kick each other, don't kick me and the ball's in play when it hits the ground' (dropping the ball and stepping back as you say the second half of the sentence)

generally i would only offer my twopence worth if i was asked a question - suppose, just suppose, that they take your advice and kick the ball back to the opposition keeper and he deflects the ball into the net....are you then going to tell the teams that the sporting thing to do would be to allow the team that had just conceded a 'walk-through' goal, to even things up...hmmm

personally, 'don't kick each other, don't kick me and the ball's in play when it hits the ground' (dropping the ball and stepping back as you say the second half of the sentence)

generally i would only offer my twopence worth if i was asked a question - suppose, just suppose, that they take your advice and kick the ball back to the opposition keeper and he deflects the ball into the net....are you then going to tell the teams that the sporting thing to do would be to allow the team that had just conceded a 'walk-through' goal, to even things up...hmmm

I'll take my chances and cross that bridge should I ever get there! I've only ever had drop balls a handful of times and used this line even less than that.

i keep telling my son to get 8 or 9 players from his team to contest the next drop ball they have - just for the sheer entertainment and novelty value

i keep telling my son to get 8 or 9 players from his team to contest the next drop ball they have - just for the sheer entertainment and novelty value

"I'm not in a position to tell you what to do lads, but the sporting thing to do would be for you all to sod off and not kick the life out of each other and make my life a lot easier! However you can do what you want."

Off topic but I had an u16 game drop ball that was being contested. As it hit the ground this kid who was a bit of a joker shouted WAIT really loudly and both players just stopped dead, didn't go for the ball or anything and just turned to look at him. Was quite funny. He spent the rest the whole match wandering about telling everyone about how he was doing on fifa!

Back