A&H

Weak Ref?

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
Ok so I've never Seen like this, at a local game just at the park whites vs reds.

First half uneventful but the second half was when it all kicked off. Firstly ref striker gets fouled and the white defender grabs him by the throat and red tries to walk away. Ref comes over and books red for no reason and gives a foul for whites. That starts things off.

Next the CAR gives an offside against whites for reds from a whites goal kick. Instead of waving it away, ref blows and gives it. After screams from touchline he realises his mistake and does an uncompeted drop ball for reds . Things really not going well.

Ref claims he's been getting unfair stick the whole game and starts swearing at both sets of players , coaches and fans. He blows up for a free kick, and this is the crazy bit. Apparently he is called a cheat, so he decides to pick up the ball and walk off. People don't know what is going on when he says he's fed up and the game is abondended. The home team (whites) are winning 2-0 and are infuriated but he doesn't budge. He says he's gonna report the whole game. Home team already have midweek games but it doesn't change anything.

I do support the home team so I might be slightly bias but I think this is ridiculous. What are other thoughts and has anyone had to do or seen anything similar?

The Referee Store
All of this sounds very much like you had to be there. With situations like violent conduct it can be tough for a ref. Although obvious to people around that VC has occurred, the ref may not have spotted it amongst a melee of players and can only give what they see.

The offside one is an awkward one. He should either let the play continue to see how it develops then consult the CAR. Or stop and give offside, but in his scenario of blowing straight away and then consulting the CAR who he found to be incorrect, maybe the drop ball was the best decision. To save arguments he could have just had the goal kick retaken. Whether the drop ball is contested or not by either team is not down to the referee

Based on what you said, it does sound like he was becoming a bit mixed up in his decisions, but officials swearing at players etc is unacceptable.

Swearing at players is completely unacceptable, and shouldn't be done under any circumstances.

However, that said, the FA and players hold referees to a high standard, so why shouldn't the players be held to the same standard?

I agree completely. Just felt like he didn't know the rules well and he didn't use his cards. They are there to control game management and he completely lost it due to not using them.

Ok so I've never Seen like this, at a local game just at the park whites vs reds.

First half uneventful but the second half was when it all kicked off. Firstly ref striker gets fouled and the white defender grabs him by the throat and red tries to walk away. Ref comes over and books red for no reason and gives a foul for whites. That starts things off.

Next the CAR gives an offside against whites for reds from a whites goal kick. Instead of waving it away, ref blows and gives it. After screams from touchline he realises his mistake and does an uncompeted drop ball for reds . Things really not going well.

Ref claims he's been getting unfair stick the whole game and starts swearing at both sets of players , coaches and fans. He blows up for a free kick, and this is the crazy bit. Apparently he is called a cheat, so he decides to pick up the ball and walk off. People don't know what is going on when he says he's fed up and the game is abondended. The home team (whites) are winning 2-0 and are infuriated but he doesn't budge. He says he's gonna report the whole game. Home team already have midweek games but it doesn't change anything.

I do support the home team so I might be slightly bias but I think this is ridiculous. What are other thoughts and has anyone had to do or seen anything similar?
The spectators ate there to watch the game not abuse the ref. Report and abandonment justified there. Mabye report his language though don't need refs swearing at players now do we :)

I agree as a referee abuse from the spectators is wrong but he claimed he had received too much dissent from players even with zero attempt to use his cards to put a stop to it which is what confused me.

From what I have been told, the Home team are gonna get fined, deducted points and lost the fixture without rematch which I think is very harsh seeing they were 2-0 up.

From what I have been told, the Home team are gonna get fined, deducted points and lost the fixture without rematch which I think is very harsh seeing they were 2-0 up.

That must mean that a CFA hearing has been held, the home club found to be guilty of causing the game to be abandoned. And the chances of that having happened within 7 days of the game being played, and in a 4 day week, is next to non-existent.

If the league have made that decision the home club can complain to the CFA, as leagues cannot deal with discipline related abandonments until the CFA have first hear the case.

Back