A&H

Wear this ref

it's All about the wording. Reading through the posts there are two cases of similar wording which mean different things for referees.

"Referees can only wear black": I don't see why you would even carry any other colour tops. If there is a kit clash with the ref, players change. If they can't, it's all black or no game. If the rule also continues to stop players wearing black (which is likely) then report the team.

"Only the referees can wear black": if a team is wearing black and you are wearing black too, ask them to change. If they can't, you change if you can. Either way report the team. (the rule doesnt stop you from wearing other colours)

The Referee Store
Interesting for an 'observor' to refer to someone as stupid for offering an opinion. Perhaps nobody should offer any opinions on any rules, maybe we'd have the same rules as we started with when football began. Who were those stupid people who offered alternative viewpoints about competition rules? Change the back pass rule? Introduce substitutes? Yellow footballs? Don't be stupid and stop complaining!
Did I call any referee stupid? I said you could look as stupid as...

As for changes to competition rules, I've introduced many in my time, including arranging for coloured shirts to be worn in a local cup final in the 120th playing of that final. However if it isn't in the rules and you (for clarity, that's a generic 'you' and not directed at you personally) decide to ignore that and break the rules, then you (see previous generic, etc.) deserve to attract the relevant action whether that is censure, suspension or de-registration.

As always read the wording carefully as it may not always say what you think it does.

Oh and it's Observer not Observor if we're going to be pedantic over the detail

Last edited:
I do find spelling rather difficult but that's another story. I did read it clearly thankyou and saying you "could look stupid" regarding a specific post/person is pure semantics.

I never suggested anyone should break the rules, I did suggest that the rule is rather silly at park level and I also suggested that the punishment was ridiculous and I stand by that. Interesting direction to take during s period of a shortage of referees around the country. Overkill.

Thanks for the sarcasm and the pedantry. Not my bag so ill leave it there

I do find spelling rather difficult but that's another story. I did read it clearly thankyou and saying you "could look stupid" regarding a specific post/person is pure semantics.

I never suggested anyone should break the rules, I did suggest that the rule is rather silly at park level and I also suggested that the punishment was ridiculous and I stand by that. Interesting direction to take during s period of a shortage of referees around the country. Overkill.

It's not that silly. It's quite simply there so everyone knows where they stand. Team buys a red kit so it doesn't clash, they don't expect to turn up and see the referee wearing a red shirt as well. Maybe the punishment is over the top, but you have to consider that it may be there because before, it was too lenient and some refs did what they want

I can't spell either. I blame all these American spell-checkers :meh:

I never suggested anyone should break the rules, I did suggest that the rule is rather silly at park level

What I find silly is that any referee that is appointed to a game would even consider that changing their top, or wearing a bib is an option in areas where the County FA has not chosen to adopt a secondary colour.

This is not are rocking up as a parent referee at a mini football game, this is me having been appointed to take charge of a game, for which i'm going to be paid. My primary role is to ensure that I apply the laws of the game, consistently and without fear or favour. Frankly, the enjoyment of the players or the spectators is secondary. I look at some of the teams I referee and I wonder "why the hell do they bother playing?" they moan constantly, not just at me, but at each other and I can't see how they get any form of enjoyment out of the game.

Likewise, the clubs we get to referee are all affiliated to a league and also a County FA. By registering they agree to do certain things such as:

Register players by certain dates
Pay the referee a set fee when they are the home team
Provide Club Assistant referees for each game
Have kits that do not clash with the opponent or the match official - with further specific details in my county
Pay any fines or outstanding monies to the league or county FA

If a club chooses to ignore those rules that they've agreed to, thats their problem. Is it my fault that they decided to go buy a football equivalent of the All Blacks Rugby strip, either because they want to do a Haka before each game, or Bob's brothers best mates uncles 2nd cousin could get them a kit for 40% of the normal price?

They've made that decision and they have to live with the consequences of it, which in the games where it has happened to me, mean that they might indeed mistake me for one of their team mates. As much as they might complain, if they are consistently wearing that coloured kit, then they are coming up against this issue on a regular basis.

Ohh and no way i'm wearing a bib as it covers up the pockets on my shirt, that I use during the game. We either play and the team with the kit issue deals with it, or they refuse to play, those are the choices.

All water under the bridge anyways.

If it were down to me, I'd do a coin toss for choice of "shirts or skins". ;)

I believe that's what they still do up in Yorkshire ..... :rolleyes::D
Are they in gloves yet darn sarf, my PV is still whizzing around!

Oh God!! You're not a "shirt-hanging-outer" are you? :(:rolleyes:
Gloves are my thing.:cool: but more to the point "one" does not do all those things. And what one does and what doesn't do is one's business :)

Gloves are my thing.:cool: but more to the point "one" does not do all those things. And what one does and what doesn't do is one's business :)

Did one just tell one to mind one's own business? :meh:

Reactions: one
What I find silly is that any referee that is appointed to a game would even consider that changing their top, or wearing a bib is an option in areas where the County FA has not chosen to adopt a secondary colour.

This is not are rocking up as a parent referee at a mini football game, this is me having been appointed to take charge of a game, for which i'm going to be paid. My primary role is to ensure that I apply the laws of the game, consistently and without fear or favour. Frankly, the enjoyment of the players or the spectators is secondary. I look at some of the teams I referee and I wonder "why the hell do they bother playing?" they moan constantly, not just at me, but at each other and I can't see how they get any form of enjoyment out of the game.

Likewise, the clubs we get to referee are all affiliated to a league and also a County FA. By registering they agree to do certain things such as:

Have kits that do not clash with the opponent or the match official - with further specific details in my county

If a club chooses to ignore those rules that they've agreed to, thats their problem. Is it my fault that they decided to go buy a football equivalent of the All Blacks Rugby strip, either because they want to do a Haka before each game, or Bob's brothers best mates uncles 2nd cousin could get them a kit for 40% of the normal price?

They've made that decision and they have to live with the consequences of it, which in the games where it has happened to me, mean that they might indeed mistake me for one of their team mates. As much as they might complain, if they are consistently wearing that coloured kit, then they are coming up against this issue on a regular basis.

Ohh and no way i'm wearing a bib as it covers up the pockets on my shirt, that I use during the game. We either play and the team with the kit issue deals with it, or they refuse to play, those are the choices.

I think you may be mistaking my posts for someone else's regarding bibs. I've also not mentioned or endorsed regularly wearing coloured shirts. My gripe is with the harshness of the punishment, it's archaic.

Many clubs struggle with administration due to lack of volunteers. Some will go through multiple managers in one season. Participation is down significantly unfortunately. Occasionally, mistakes will be made with kit, admin etc and I don't believe that punishing a ref for putting a different colour shirt on to facilitate such a rare problem is a progressive, positive or beneficial to anyone. I think a ban from all football activities is ludicrous but each to their own.

It's not that silly. It's quite simply there so everyone knows where they stand. Team buys a red kit so it doesn't clash, they don't expect to turn up and see the referee wearing a red shirt as well. Maybe the punishment is over the top, but you have to consider that it may be there because before, it was too lenient and some refs did what they want

Would you suggest that if a pitch was 0.5m shorter than the minimum size and the ref played the game then the ref should be banned from all football activities? Only 3 corner flags in an u10s match, ref plays the game, ban from all football activities? Ref left his black shirt on the washing line, only has his yellow shirt in his bag. Play the game but receive a ban from all football activities?

No sarcasm here btw, just enforcing my point

Please see my post (number 17 in this thread) where I explained why I wore a bib; sorry that you think my actions were “silly”, but I stand by them, and would do the same if presented with the same circumstances.

It does sadden me that you have such views, and I disagree with you entirely: at grassroots level it is about 22+ individuals enjoying a game of football ( after all, they are paying to play.)

What is silly is that if I’d said “no” to wearing a bib, one of two things would have happened: the game would have had to have been abandoned or someone would have had to be plucked from the crowd to take the middle. Either outcome would have been a worse outcome than me putting on a bib.

We, as refs, are in a fairly unique position at grassroots: we get paid, and we are in demand. Sometimes this can lead us to forget the hassles and difficulties club secretaries and managers may have to go through to get a game on: booking pitches, refs; getting enough players and making sure they are registered; liaising with oppositions; finances.

We (as refs) are facilitators - lets make it as easy as possible for these unsung heroes to put on a game of football- be contactable, be punctual, be fair, and, if necessary, be flexible. i do this as a hobby as I enjoy it: I enjoy the combination of mental and physical challenge, but I also derive some pleasure from knowing that I have helped 22 people enjoy a game of football

We all have enough things to worry about in our lives, let’s not add referees wearing bibs when circumstances dictate to that list.

I do see the point of those who say - just get on with it, but equally you could apply that to a number of other 'small' matters at grassroots - sock tape and undershirts/shorts for example.

I had a step 4 Womens game where kick off was delayed by 20 mins because home team refused to wear their away kit and away team refused to wear it as well after turning up in shirts too close to home team colours.

Just think you have to be careful when picking and choosing what matters and what doesn't.

If, wearing a bib, you tell a player he shouldn't have red tape on blue socks - he could easily say 'You shouldn't be wearing a yellow bib ref!'

Reactions: JH
Back