A&H

Welsh grading - level 7 equivalent

SM

The avuncular one
Kind of only applies to welsh refs I believe. I had notification at the end of the season that promotion to grade 7 was successful. The grading structure has changed in wales as expected. I get my new grade through today and I am now a grade 4a.

The description for 4a is "second season referee over the age of 16 who operates at grass roots level". Is my new grade correct? If it is correct, it appears last seasons promotion means bugger all!

The equivalent of grade 7 is now an automatic promotion?

The Referee Store
I'm down as 4b and believe I should be 4a, I'm 'second season referee over the age of 16' surely? Not 'first season referee over the age of 16'. I'm in my second season of refereeing now.

My understanding, even though I'm not from 'round there, is that they merged a lot of levels together so it is possible that grades 8 and 7 (and probably several others) have been merged together to make 4a. I wouldn't say the promotion means bugger all, because you've probably learned a lot on your path to promotion.

Haha yes, you are correct. I did learn quite a bit from the promotion process. In real terms it means nothing I guess. I am a two season completed ref (3rd coming up) and would have been going for promotion this season to grade 6, now 3b. So nothing has really changed. :)

Curious to see what that means though in terms of matches I will be able to officiate in next season.

@aled: worth getting in contact with the powers that be to check it is correct. Bound to be the odd error in the switch over to the new system

Sometimes you just need to vent and have some sense pointed out to put things into perspective. :)

:D Doh!

that is a very good question. Getting in line with FIFA regulations for member countries according to the letter I received.

Ah, I see. I wonder if that will prompt a change here. Do you have a copy of said FIFA requirement?

I'm down as 4b and believe I should be 4a, I'm 'second season referee over the age of 16' surely? Not 'first season referee over the age of 16'. I'm in my second season of refereeing now.
Are you refereeing adult football in the middle?

Kind of only applies to welsh refs I believe. I had notification at the end of the season that promotion to grade 7 was successful. The grading structure has changed in wales as expected. I get my new grade through today and I am now a grade 4a.

The description for 4a is "second season referee over the age of 16 who operates at grass roots level". Is my new grade correct? If it is correct, it appears last seasons promotion means bugger all!

The equivalent of grade 7 is now an automatic promotion?

All previous levels should be ignored. Technically, everybody should be graded on what they are refereeing, not what their 'old' level is. Some will appear to have been 'promoted' and others will appear to have been 'demoted', although this is not really the case. Also, there is no direct translation to the English system, however a 4A,B,C would be a 7,8 ish, The 3A,B,C - 2 could be anything from 6,5,4,3 even 2, depending on the area.

I also have had a letter about officiating on Sundays in welsh league which look like under 19s according to the application. Sounds interesting.

What a kooky new system. How does promotion now work?

Are you refereeing adult football in the middle?
Yes I am doing adult football in the middle this season.

I also have had a letter about officiating on Sundays in welsh league which look like under 19s according to the application. Sounds interesting.

What a kooky new system. How does promotion now work?
It's confusing the new system, if someone understands it I'd be amazed! The U19's are Welsh Youth League, I do Welsh Youth every now and then and they're a nice bunch of players so I'd definitely go for it.

I was told today that 3b is the old welsh 6/ English 5. Also that it is coming from uefa to get all countries into sync with one system for refs. wonder if England will also follow suit at some point

Back