A&H

What time do you arrive for an open age match?

MumRef

Hello all,
I've been arriving 30 mins ish early for youth matches but my appointments chap said I should arrive 45-60mins early for the adult matches. I arrive in my kit and ready to inspect the pitch, brief the teams and brief the ARs - last week was just subs doing it so I couldn't brief them.
What time do you arrive and what else should I be doing with my time? I warm up as I inspect the pitch.
Also...for the pre-match handshake, does the home team always line up in a stadium facing the tunnel on the same side eg the left?

The Referee Store
I think you should ask your local colleagues what is normal and expected. It varies so much from place to place and league to league.

When teaching new referees we recommend around an hour before k. o. and allow a little extra time if not been to the ground previously.
Gives time to find your f. o. p. if multiple choices, check f. o. p. and goal nets, get a feel for players' attitudes and have a look at potential colour clashes during the warm up, get team sheets if issued, brief AR's, etc.

I worked with a colleague a couple of times, who always wanted to arrive super early to, let's say politely, demonstrate his keenness - to the extent he was at the ground before anyone else sometimes. Pointless and counter-productive. Just made him look 'busy' (one of the worst refereeing sins) before the warm-up had even started. At grass roots, there will usually be a norm, which varies by league, but I can't see the point of anything more than 45 minutes unless it's a cup final, going to need a pitch inspection, etc.

Further up the pyramid, it's prescribed - Levels 5 & 6 1hr 15, Levels 3 & 4 1hr 30, Level 2 1hr 45, Level 1 2hours. That's a lot of hanging about, but there is more to do, better hospitality and longer travelling distances means there is value in room for error with traffic

Golden rule, arrive when everyone expects you to be there. Too late or too early both cause you problems

I worked with a colleague a couple of times, who always wanted to arrive super early to, let's say politely, demonstrate his keenness - to the extent he was at the ground before anyone else sometimes. Pointless and counter-productive. Just made him look 'busy' (one of the worst refereeing sins) before the warm-up had even started. At grass roots, there will usually be a norm, which varies by league, but I can't see the point of anything more than 45 minutes unless it's a cup final, going to need a pitch inspection, etc.

Further up the pyramid, it's prescribed - Levels 5 & 6 1hr 15, Levels 3 & 4 1hr 30, Level 2 1hr 45, Level 1 2hours. That's a lot of hanging about, but there is more to do, better hospitality and longer travelling distances means there is value in room for error with traffic

Golden rule, arrive when everyone expects you to be there. Too late or too early both cause you problems
Once went to do a FA cup match in the early rounds. Referee wanted to be there early, so we got there well before anybody else was there, so had to go and find a café for an hour before they opened up.... (yes, he did allow for traffic on a Saturday, which didn't happen!!!)

I target 45 minutes before KO, and if traffic hits or I get a bit lost and that goes down to 30mins, that's fine. Any less than 30 and it starts to feel rushed for me. And I get grumpy if I'm running a line and the ref asks me to be there much before an hour ahead of KO.

I target 45 minutes before KO, and if traffic hits or I get a bit lost and that goes down to 30mins, that's fine. Any less than 30 and it starts to feel rushed for me. And I get grumpy if I'm running a line and the ref asks me to be there much before an hour ahead of KO.
I go for this! Also if being observed always good to be there before them in time to settle and get yourself acquainted with changing rooms etc

Thank you for this. I'm going for promotion to level 6, so I think I'll take the 45 mins - 1 hour as this 1hr 15 sounds like a lot of hanging around!

Now I'm confused. I'm a UK referee level 7 going for promotion, what would be a step 6?
Step 6 is part of the national league system. You won't be refereeing any games at that level until you are level 4, although sometimes a 5-4 referee can be given a game at this level. Certainly, not a 7-6 candidate.

Now I'm confused. I'm a UK referee level 7 going for promotion, what would be a step 6?
It is confusing!
You are a Level 7 referee, aiming for Level 6 soon.
Quarryref realised that he had used "level" when he meant "step", as football is categorised from Step 1 (top level) down through to Step 6 (formerly called Supply Leagues)
As JamesL has said, Level 4 referees are used at Step 6.
You may be invited to act as an assistant referee on Step 6 at some stage soon.

At grassroots I aim to be “on duty” 45 mins beforehand. That means I’ve found the changing room, got a key, possibly found a club representative, unpacked and checked my kit, got a lay of the land, and know what pitch I’m heading to.

Might mean I arrive an hour before to a venue I’m unfamiliar with, or one with multiple pitches than can be a fair walk from the complex, but the logic is the same. In the changing room, got all my stuff ready, water bottles filled, handful of haribo, write out my notebook, etc… 45 mins before.

Then I can mentally get in the zone ahead of inspection, teamsheets, getting changed, moment to myself, then heading out and cracking on.

It is confusing!
You are a Level 7 referee, aiming for Level 6 soon.
Quarryref realised that he had used "level" when he meant "step", as football is categorised from Step 1 (top level) down through to Step 6 (formerly called Supply Leagues)
As JamesL has said, Level 4 referees are used at Step 6.
You may be invited to act as an assistant referee on Step 6 at some stage soon.
Oh good, so 45 mins should be acceptable for me then.

Back