A&H

What to do with team sheets?

MumRef

Hello all, I'm going for promotion to level 6 this year so I've got some adult games coming up. When am I supposed to see the team sheets and what am I supposed to do with them?? Should I be trying to ID the players against the sheets?

The Referee Store
Ordinarily, you should be handed a copy 15 mins before kickoff. Wouldn’t do much more than write the subs’ names down so you can confirm as they come on.

If any misconduct, report the name given. Most times the shirt numbers will tie up, but often they won’t, so just take name, note number they’ve got on for your own during-match mental notes, and crack on.

Carefully file the team sheets in your B1N folder after the game 🤣

Hello all, I'm going for promotion to level 6 this year so I've got some adult games coming up. When am I supposed to see the team sheets and what am I supposed to do with them?? Should I be trying to ID the players against the sheets?
Check the competition rules for the competition in which you are refereeing. Not all are the same. Once you have the names of the subs, put them in your kitbag. Keep them for around a month after the game in case of any queries about cautions/dismissals in the game or from the league about the names of players who were reportedly played. After that throw them away.

Check the competition rules for the competition in which you are refereeing. Not all are the same. Once you have the names of the subs, put them in your kitbag. Keep them for around a month after the game in case of any queries about cautions/dismissals in the game or from the league about the names of players who were reportedly played. After that throw them away.

What Brian says although I find it best to just take a picture of every team sheet then you have a permanent record should you need it and don't have loads of bits of paper knocking about.

Personally I staple the two teamsheets together with my match card once I've finished post-game admin and then shove them all in a file. That file then gets emptied straight into the bin shortly before the next season starts.

Each league may have slightly different rules about what you're supposed to keep or how long you're supposed to keep it - by just batch-binning it at the start of the next season, you're guaranteed to have kept team sheets for at least a month and don't have to worry too much about picking through and working out dates for when you're allowed to dispose of different sheets from different leagues.

Most league rules will dicate this. You may be required to hold for 30 days, in case of whether a player actually played.
Much longer than 30 days in most cases. If there's a player eligibility issue it will take way more than 30 days to investigate, so most leagues will ask for at least 90 days, and the FA ask for a whole season.

Much longer than 30 days in most cases. If there's a player eligibility issue it will take way more than 30 days to investigate, so most leagues will ask for at least 90 days, and the FA ask for a whole season.
I've always just taken a picture of the team sheet. I'm assuming the physical sheet isn't required? If its required as evidence then it would be sent digitally anyway? Seems the best way to me as opposed to having loads of team sheets taking up space in a drawer

I've always just taken a picture of the team sheet. I'm assuming the physical sheet isn't required? If its required as evidence then it would be sent digitally anyway? Seems the best way to me as opposed to having loads of team sheets taking up space in a drawer
Yeah, that is probably good enough.

Reading these makes me think how lucky us Aussie refs generally are with team sheets haha

My comp/association generally follows this approach:

• All players are registered, and all match admin is digital, so managers are to submit projected teamsheets online the evening before the game.
  • Home manager prints this off (includes all names, DOBs and registration numbers) to bring to the game, and manual changes (for no-shows, injuries) are allowed. Both teams make their changes and provide to referee before the game.
  • I tend to just take shirt numbers for YC, RC, goals and other misconduct during the game.
  • Once game is over, I fill in the match events on the team sheet, sign it while with both managers, and provide to the home team (It's up to the home team then to both provide a copy to the away manager, and upload results to relevant game admin sites, etc)
In the past, when I was a player, it was all done with a duplicate carbon copy book: Home team arranges, all three teams (home, away and referee) sign it after the game, and the away team keeps the carbon copy.

I'm assuming in Australia we just assume we're all innocent (unless it's cricket of course).

Last edited:
Reading these makes me think how lucky us Aussie refs generally are with team sheets haha

My comp/association generally follows this approach:

• All players are registered, and all match admin is digital, so managers are to submit projected teamsheets online the evening before the game.
  • Home manager prints this off (includes all names, DOBs and registration numbers) to bring to the game, and manual changes (for no-shows, injuries) are allowed. Both teams make their changes and provide to referee before the game.
  • I tend to just take shirt numbers for YC, RC, goals and other misconduct during the game.
  • Once game is over, I fill in the match events on the team sheet, sign it while with both managers, and provide to the home team (It's up to the home team then to both provide a copy to the away manager, and upload results to relevant game admin sites, etc)
In the past, when I was a player, it was all done with a duplicate carbon copy book: Home team arranges, all three teams (home, away and referee) sign it after the game, and the away team keeps the carbon copy.

I'm assuming in Australia we just assume we're all innocent (unless it's cricket of course).

[Typing in Google:] Is carbon paper abrasive?

If I’m in the middle and I get them in time (most leagues here you do get them 30 mins before KO), I write down all players’ names/numbers. Makes the caution process more reliable and quick, instead of having to write the full name under pressure.

I always cross reference between my notepad and the sheets to to make sure I’ve got the right number and name (I have Refsix so I also input the number on there)

You can also use this as a reference for the next time you referee that team.

So if the captain of that team was useful and wanted to work with you, you can make a note of this on the sheet.

If there was a player who was a pain in the backside and didn’t want to listen to you, make a note of this.

Maybe there’s a specific player who is designated to take throw ins- make a note of this

Little things that can help you game management should you referee that team again

Back