A&H

What to say when...

Will Triffitt

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys, looking for your advice again! I was looking for answers in previous threads but couldn't find any (correct me if I am wrong). As I am 17 I only really referee youth games however I have started to do open age women's games too. As I ref at a young age, cautions and dismissals are very rare however, as I start to referee higher ages next season, they will become more common. I was wondering what you say when issuing a red or yellow card and how you manage it etc... Also what do you say in your pre-match talk with the captains?

The Referee Store
Be prepared for some interesting responses Will lad!! Lol. :D

You're not very good at searching on here are you? ;)

http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/the-talk-with-the-captains.6875/

What you say when issuing a caution/dismissal is generally down to what misdemeanour has occurred, but I generally explain what I've seen or what the caution is for first.

Sometimes you have to be very precise and unambiguous with your words to avoid being misunderstood.

"Okay, that was a reckless challenge in my opinion there No4 - name please". (before showing the yellow card).
or
"Right No 7, that's earned you a caution for dissent - name please".

For a straight dismissal, I generally follow protocol to the letter: whistle, call player to me, take name, explain what I've seen and then with the words "I'm sorry No 9 but you've given me no choice - leave the field and go back to the changing rooms please"..... (as you show him/her the red card).

It's not an exact science Will, but having one or two "catch phrases" to use as you do stuff will help you early on as you develop your own personal way of communicating to the players. :)

Yellow:

"Oi fella, don't be a t!t"
*show yellow*
*run away*

Red:

"You've ****ed it now pal"
*show red*
*run away even quicker*

In seriousness: both should be done in a calm, respectful manner. Even if it's violent conduct/offinabus, calmly call the player to you (never walk to the player, try and meet at a middle point away from your line of sight, like a triangle, you're at point A, he's at B, meet at point C) then explain why you've stopped the game. For example 'fella that last challenge was reckless for X reason and as such I am cautioning you for X reason. If you earn another you will be dismissed'. Take the name whilst player is there, write your notes and ensure player stays with you until yellow card is shown.

One little tip... If you're are either cautioning or sending a player off for his use of language, never say it back to the player.

If he/she asks what the card is for, simply refer to the incident but use the phrase "foul language" or similar. Don't repeat what the player has said.

The only time I repeat what a player has said to me is if I'm an assistant and the referee has asked me what happened. I do that quietly and only with the referee by my side.

Simply put "player, you have now produced fouls on three separate occasions. There *point*, there *point* and there *point*. Therefore I will now be cautioning your persistent infringement of the laws. Can I have your name please?" "Yeah you're right ref, I've been a bit silly. My name's Joe Bloggs. Keep up the good work ref, you're having a blinder".

Sometimes depending on my mood, I would call in the captains and tell them why the player is getting cautioned or sent off without even talking to the player in question.

Don't be rude, remain calm and talk to the player like a human. Explain your decision in a manner in which will not escalate the situation and be sure he/she understands the situation. Manage the situation and when the time comes for issuing a card, it will come naturally. At the end of the day, if it's due to a rubbish challenge, 9/10 it would have been made because the player lacks the technical ability (particularly at grassroots). It may have been accidental so don't go off on one. I always talk to people with a respectful, calm but stern tone.

In reality what you say is irrelevant because it's often not going to be taken well. Just get him/her over, get the name and give the caution.

My opinion is that if you have to explain what it is for then it is probably a bit of a soft caution. Obviously there are some exceptions but in general the players will know what it's for, they just want to argue about it. Don't get into a big debate but if they ask a genuine question in a nice manner then I will always try to give them a response.

One little tip... If you're are either cautioning or sending a player off for his use of language, never say it back to the player.

If he/she asks what the card is for, simply refer to the incident but use the phrase "foul language" or similar. Don't repeat what the player has said.

The only time I repeat what a player has said to me is if I'm an assistant and the referee has asked me what happened. I do that quietly and only with the referee by my side.

Simply put "player, you have now produced fouls on three separate occasions. There *point*, there *point* and there *point*. Therefore I will now be cautioning your persistent infringement of the laws. Can I have your name please?" "Yeah you're right ref, I've been a bit silly. My name's Joe Bloggs. Keep up the good work ref, you're having a blinder".

Sometimes depending on my mood, I would call in the captains and tell them why the player is getting cautioned or sent off without even talking to the player in question.

Don't be rude, remain calm and talk to the player like a human. Explain your decision in a manner in which will not escalate the situation and be sure he/she understands the situation. Manage the situation and when the time comes for issuing a card, it will come naturally. At the end of the day, if it's due to a rubbish challenge, 9/10 it would have been made because the player lacks the technical ability (particularly at grassroots). It may have been accidental so don't go off on one. I always talk to people with a respectful, calm but stern tone.
Agree with most of this but you must speak to the offending player or he can dispute later that you took disciplinary action

Reactions: DB
Ok. Thanks guys! No I'm not great at searching @Kes ! I used the search thing but not using correct words along with a slow computer doesn't go well! I'll try and remember all of your guys advice for when is next needed. Thanks again!

Reactions: Kes

I agree with 95% of @DB here.

At Sunday League levels you'll find that almost every time, every player will argue against a card, no matter how nailed on it is.

The knack to that is to remain firm, and most importantly, consistent. At supply league level they are much less argumentative and expect it in many situations.

The only other thing I would add is when you do issue a card, particularly if the player is trying to argue, politely and calmly ask them to be quiet, then explain the reason uninterrupted in a detailed manner so they know exactly why:

'Player I understand you went for the ball. The problem is you were too late and lacked control, making it reckless. You understand I have to take action to prevent somebody getting injured from a similar challenge'

Reactions: DB
Interesting responses, guys... Maybe this is an American thing, but I never explain anything if the caution/send off is obvious. I only find myself explaining if the player is genuinely confused.

I always say what for "Adopting an aggressive attitude, reckless tackle" etc. Depending on the situation depends on the detail I go into. Talk to the players, use the time; you've stopped play. If it's a particularly high temple game which is rather heated, these stoppages are perfect for bringing the game down and for the players calming down. Quite often, you'd be happy to have a little break

Back