A&H

What would you do?

The Referee Store
Excellent from the assistant to not react. He must have known that it came from the spectators as if a player was there surely he would have been in his peripheral vision.

It might seem a bit extreme but would there be any argument to wanting the game abandoned? Being assaulted by a spectator is no different to being assaulted by a player. He would then need to spend the rest of the game standing in front of them.

As for the spectator he is clearly identifiable in that video so hopefully the club bans him

I thought the officials did very well there. I hope the AR told the ref he had been hit and it is in the match report.

There was nothing to gain from confronting the fans so the AR was spot on.

No one thinks that even attempting to identify the offending fan could have been helpful? He had no way of knowing that the fan would be so clearly identified by video...

http://www.nonleagueyorkshire.com/2016/08/09/tough-response-needed-by-the-fa/

Fair play to the Assistant he hardly flinched and did not turn around, but it got me thinking a) how did he know it wasn't a player that threw the ball? and b) should he of informed the ref and walked away?
what difference does it make it if is a player?
It might seem a bit extreme but would there be any argument to wanting the game abandoned? Being assaulted by a spectator is no different to being assaulted by a player. He would then need to spend the rest of the game standing in front of them.

As for the spectator he is clearly identifiable in that video so hopefully the club bans him

The AR has been assaulted. Far from extreme - abandonment would be the correct approach, as would a complaint to the police.
However, he wouldn't be able to argue with certainty that it was a deliberate act - all he knows is that he got hit in the head without a lot of force. It may have been an accident.

If I was another official on this match I would certainly be advising the referee that I saw it to be a clearly deliberate act and I would be expecting abandonment. The safety of the team has been compromised. Absolutely disgusting video

Reactions: LC
The officials dealt with this excellently in my opinion. Abandoning would have just potentially inflamed the situation and could have actually resulted in a much greater risk to safety. At these games there are no police and usually no stewards, so for a relatively minor incident like this the best course of action is to carry on and report, and I understand that all of the officials have now made reports and I would expect serious charges to follow.

what difference does it make it if is a player?

The AR has been assaulted. Far from extreme - abandonment would be the correct approach, as would a complaint to the police.
However, he wouldn't be able to argue with certainty that it was a deliberate act - all he knows is that he got hit in the head without a lot of force. It may have been an accident.

If I was another official on this match I would certainly be advising the referee that I saw it to be a clearly deliberate act and I would be expecting abandonment. The safety of the team has been compromised. Absolutely disgusting video

What difference does it make if it is a player? Well it makes every difference doesn't it? Disciplinary sanctions to start and then onto possible abandonment........

What difference does it make if it is a player? Well it makes every difference doesn't it? Disciplinary sanctions to start and then onto possible abandonment........
Well the sanctions aren't the referee's concern - if it's a player it's a red card, otherwise it's simply removal.
As for abandonment - should be looking for that no matter who did it, player or spectator. As I said before though, you'd want to be sure it was deliberate - the AR wouldn't have been, I don't think.

Well the sanctions aren't the referee's concern - if it's a player it's a red card, otherwise it's simply removal.
As for abandonment - should be looking for that no matter who did it, player or spectator. As I said before though, you'd want to be sure it was deliberate - the AR wouldn't have been, I don't think.
Yes i know, hence why i asked the questions in the first place. Of course the sanctions are the referees concern. The sanction, if a player is a red card ie the referees concern.

thats such a horrible scenario
the chap filming it is saying to the assaulter that "you should not be throwing a ball at a liney" and, the justification that comes back is that he felt the AR should have been stopping what was going on.
thats just so wrong... no understanding of what the AR's job is, no second thoughts about throwing the ball in the first place, and no remorse after the event... he's upset about the fracas thats occurring but wants to use physical violence to 'help' the situation. :confused:
these are the type of people @Padfoot refers to so often, that are associated with football and spoil it, in this instance for his club and the officials and the genuine supporters. No doubt if he plays it will be with the same thuggish attitude, and unfortunately, its just in these people's nature.
should not be tolerated on any level

The officials dealt with this excellently in my opinion. Abandoning would have just potentially inflamed the situation and could have actually resulted in a much greater risk to safety. At these games there are no police and usually no stewards, so for a relatively minor incident like this the best course of action is to carry on and report, and I understand that all of the officials have now made reports and I would expect serious charges to follow.
I agree that abandonment would cause more issues. However, I would have gone to the home bench and ensured that they got a couple of committee members to go to that side of the FOP to steward the fans.

Disgusting behaviour.

If I am the referee and made aware of the assault, I need to be convinced and guaranteed at least two things for not abandoning the game

1. There would be absolutely no further abuse from behind the fence towards my assistant
2. The incident does not influence my assistant (mentally and physically) in his decisions

The first one will be discussed with ground officials and the second one with my assistant. The second one is particularly important as I don’t want my assistant to be thinking “What’s going to be hurled at the back of my head next” on every decision he makes from then on.

Disgusting behaviour.

If I am the referee and made aware of the assault, I need to be convinced and guaranteed at least two things for not abandoning the game

1. There would be absolutely no further abuse from behind the fence towards my assistant
2. The incident does not influence my assistant (mentally and physically) in his decisions

The first one will be discussed with ground officials and the second one with my assistant. The second one is particularly important as I don’t want my assistant to be thinking “What’s going to be hurled at the back of my head next” on every decision he makes from then on.

I think that is a very good point

Back