A&H

When should a new ref register with a league?

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
I'm due to take my BRC in 3 weeks, and I was wondering when should a potential/new ref register with a local league?

Should I get intouch with one now so that once I've attended the course I'm ready to jump straight in and get the games I need in before my call back evening, or, should I get intouch after I've attended the course?

I usually prefer to get things sorted well before time, but I'm not sure of the procedure when it comes to this.

A&H International
If you have the opportunity to, ask your RDO for some academy fixtures as it lets you practice the basics in a pressure free environment. Don't run before you can walk :)

If you have the opportunity to, ask your RDO for some academy fixtures as it lets you practice the basics in a pressure free environment. Don't run before you can walk :)
Good thinking, Batman.
I'd not considered that option, all the booklet I got when I attended the "Get into Refereeing" workshop says is I have to ref 5 games (9v9 or 11v11) where two are mentored.

I have about 8 weeks to get the 5 games in before the call back evening when I take my LOTG test.

Also it may be best to avoid Open Age football initially. U14,U15,U16,U18 football is a great learning ground. I learned a lot of my game management at U18 level, the laws will look after themselves as long as you revise LOTG. Law 5 and Law 12 are the main ones they test at level 9 from memory. Best of luck

Also it may be best to avoid Open Age football initially. U14,U15,U16,U18 football is a great learning ground. I learned a lot of my game management at U18 level, the laws will look after themselves as long as you revise LOTG. Law 5 and Law 12 are the main ones they test at level 9 from memory. Best of luck

Thanks, I had thought that the games had to be open aged, but as there is a chance that I miss heard I fired off a quick email to my RDO.

He recommended that I go straight into OA if I'm happy managing people, but I can start on youth games as long as the use the offside rule.

I was in the Army for 12 years, so I have man management experience, and I think that OA football would be similar to the armed forces in terms of attitude etc (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
Thanks, I had thought that the games had to be open aged, but as there is a chance that I miss heard I fired off a quick email to my RDO.

He recommended that I go straight into OA if I'm happy managing people, but I can start on youth games as long as the use the offside rule.

I was in the Army for 12 years, so I have man management experience, and I think that OA football would be similar to the armed forces in terms of attitude etc (if that makes sense).
If you can handle 6 games of hormonally-confused teenagers, OA will be a easy peasy.

Most youth leagues will be on the lookout for refs but you'll need to get a CRC check in place beforehand and that can take a few weeks. Check with your RDO for information on CRC and youth games.

I did my course prior to the introduction of 9v9, but apart from the size of the pitch, smaller goals and areas, the laws are basically the same as 11-a-side. 9v9 is U11s & U12s, 11v11 starts at U13. Although I have heard some academy teams start 11v11 at U12s :confused:

Ref'd a lot of mini-soccer matches for my son's team prior deciding to "go official". 1st 11v11 match I did, had to keep reminding myself I had "assistants" :)

Good luck with the exam, was pretty straight forward, although our RDO admitted a couple of questions were "badly written"...

Back