Whistle(s)

What whistle(s) do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo

Assistant World Cup Sweepstake Organiser
Level 7 Referee
I think there has already been on of these threads, but I couldn't find it. What whistle(s) do you use? And why? Also, what 'attachments' do you use? I have an elastic lanyard, and I only carry one whistle on the lanyard, but have spares in my pocket.I will start of, I use Fox 40 Classic, just because I think it is the best whistle that I have used, and I was told to get on of them as well.

The Referee Store
Acme whistle's are an absolute no-no. Fox 40 is the way to go. They give a much greater tone and volume, giving you a real presence on the pitch. As for me, lanyards are too fiddly. I carry a Fox 40 in my hand with no attachment, and a spare in my top right pocket. I refereed for a while with only one whistle, and had a few scares where I almost lost it. So I shelled out the money for a spare.

I have the lanyard because I would worry I would lose my whistle without one. Also, I don't like holding the whistle in my hand, I like the fact I can do what ever I want with my hand and let my whistle just drop. It is only a small elastic lanyard, and the whistle stays a nice length from my fingers to get it when I need to. I carry 2 spares in my back pocket, both plastic so they aren't heavy. I carried a metal whistle for one match in my back pocket, but it was annoying me; the noise when I was running and how heavy it was, so at half time I took that one out, and have never used it since.

I have 2 Fox 40 Classics, tied together by the rings that come on them... That's all I carry... Allows me to swap the hands depending on what hand I am going to signal with. Tried a lanyard once, but it just didn't work... I use the same whistle configuration to the Referee on the front of the 2011/2012 LOTG :)

I'm a newly qualified ref (passed the basic course today!) so am about to buy my first whistles. Gonna try a couple of different ones with a couple of different attachments and see which works best for me.
Just wondering why Acme are a no no for you Xman? We got a Thunderer as part of our basic kit from the RA so got the impression they were they 'approved' make, so to speak?

The thunderer felt like I'd got it out of a Christmas cracker. Fox 40 classic all the way

Fox 40 all the way, although I do have the Sonik Blast on me as well, it never hurts to have two different whistles, especially if you are on a park where there are more than one pitch.

Mind you, I do know somebody that carries 4 whistles on his wrist... 4!

Fox 40 Classic and I have 4 of them (black, black w/FAMOA, orange, yellow). I take two onto FOP with me, on an elastic lanyard.

I actually use it in my pre-match. I say if I look at you and show you the orange whistle (I use orange & FAMOA generally), it means up the game, no advantages, lots of fouls to be given (same as a referee giving a hand signal indicating this). I used it Saturday and the assistants both came up with me and acknowledged both the start of the orange whistle usage and the end of the orange whistle usage.

I wondered what the Fox 40 Classic fuss was about so for Xmas I bought one from A&H in one of their Present packs. I've used it twice now and the jury's still out. My ACME 2000 Tornado is wider and louder, but a bit more conspicuous in dayglo yellow or orange!

I'm a newly qualified ref (passed the basic course today!) so am about to buy my first whistles. Gonna try a couple of different ones with a couple of different attachments and see which works best for me.
Just wondering why Acme are a no no for you Xman? We got a Thunderer as part of our basic kit from the RA so got the impression they were they 'approved' make, so to speak?

Acme thunderer has been outdone in recent years by Fox. I imagine it is fine for starters as it will be fine for reffing younger players and small-sided games. However, when progressing to older age groups or amateurs the Fox will give you an effortless presence on the pitch, especially when your authority may be challenged or you need to break up a 15-man brawl. I was helping a young referee who reffed a game using an Acme, and in my opinion it was giving a lame and slightly indecisive tone. He changed to a Fox and the next time I seen him he looked like a totally different referee (probably not all based on his whistle but it did help).

See how this works for you, do your first few games and find your feet using the Acme and then try a Fox. I guarantee you will notice the difference.

Good luck in any case. Hope you enjoy refereeing and are able to get into it.

Cheers Xman. I've just ordered some whistles so am going to annoy the hell out of my housemate in a couple of days by trying them out!

I've gone for an Acme Tornado, an Acme Cyclone and a Fox Classic.

Hi,

I use the Fox 40 finger grip whistle. To be honest it is the best whistle I have ever bought takes time to get use to having it on your fingers.
But I was watching a game the other week and saw a referee use the finger grip whistle but he had put a lanyard on it so when it comes to writing you can let go of the whistle.
Would recommend it to anyone!

Anyone use the the Molten Valkeen? I have one, and love it. The finger-grip is the best I've ever used, and perfect for me. You can still write with the whistle held by the finger-grip in the hand, and it really stays put. Great tone, too. My only gripe is the price - it's hard to find here in the US, and it's $60.00. I hear they use 'em in the J-League.

Here's what they look like:

valkeen01.jpg

valkeen02.jpg

I have seen them on sale at a web shop here, at about $80. I have also seen an A-League ref using one (just after Xmas so I guess he got it as a pressie!).

Comes in a snazzy presentation box with choice of three different grips (presumably for different sizes).

It is supposed to be a fantastic piece of kit, but, at $80 with the ACME range selling for $12, and Fox for $18-20 - I just can't justify it!

I have seen them on sale at a web shop here, at about $80. I have also seen an A-League ref using one (just after Xmas so I guess he got it as a pressie!).

Comes in a snazzy presentation box with choice of three different grips (presumably for different sizes).

It is supposed to be a fantastic piece of kit, but, at $80 with the ACME range selling for $12, and Fox for $18-20 - I just can't justify it!

Yeah, I totally understand. I referee high school matches here, and am paid about $74/match, so I figured the whistle cost me about a match worth of my time/money. Worth it for me, but I do wish they were cheaper. I'd buy more than one if I could afford it! :) I still keep a ton of Fox 40's in my bag as backup... It comes with three of those finger-grips (small/medium/large), so I put the other two on some Fox 40's, and they work great...

Wow, you get paid better than me. I get $25 (NZD) per appointed game (we are all appointed by the Federation) plus travel expenses.

Match fees are paid in one lump sum at end of season, and expenses paid monthly.

I'd be looking at at least three matches to cover the cost!

Molten whistles are supposed to give off a higher decibel level at a much higher pitch, primarily to make it more audible in matches with tens of thousands of people in a stadium. I think I heard that a lot of FIFA Refs have started using them.

I know one guy who was given one as a trial but he didn't like the obscure shape/size and the change of pitch.

Molten whistles are supposed to give off a higher decibel level at a much higher pitch, primarily to make it more audible in matches with tens of thousands of people in a stadium. I think I heard that a lot of FIFA Refs have started using them.

I know one guy who was given one as a trial but he didn't like the obscure shape/size and the change of pitch.
I've only used the Valkeen, so I can't judge by other Molten whistles. I quite like the shape and finger holds. I'd even go so far as to say that it's the most comfortable whistle to hold that I own. The hold sits between your fingers, with the body of the whistle on the palm-side of your hand. The body flips up for whistling, and you simply hold it between your thumb and forefinger to whistle (like any other whistle), and when you aren't using it, you can just let it fall, or flip it back into your palm while running, or even while writing. It's very comfortable, and intuitive.

As for the tone, I find it much less harsh than say, the Fox Sonic Blast, Fox Sharx, or even the venerable Fox 40. In fact, at a U19 tournament last year, I had a player actually tell me she liked the tone of my whistle. That's certainly never happened before. It's a dual-tone whistle, in that there are two holes that provide two different frequencies that create a very penetrating, loud, but pretty pleasant multi-tone.

But now I sound like a salesman...haha. If you get a chance to use one, I do recommend it and see if it suits your style. I really like mine, but you never know. I know some referees that will never give up their ancient tin whistle with cork ball... ;)

I use a fox sonic blast with finger grip (although do also have one on a wrist strap for games when it is too cold to have something around your fingers). Players know when you blow this whistle! It allows for some variation in tone when required and will leave ears ringing with a full blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back