A&H

Working as a team

Richthekeeper

I've read a lot in the last couple of weeks relating to the interaction between the three (or four) officials on a match day.

in Wales, only the top 3 adult leagues in the pyramid have 3 officials per game, so the majority of games you're flying solo.

while i am not under any illusion of this issue cropping up anytime soon, i would be interested to know how people have had to adapt from being a one man band to working in a team?

one of the key things for me is the goal line - i find it tricky to be in a good position to see the play and still view close calls at the goal line. similarly with corners, i want to be in a good position but i also need to see the line. having an assistant would definitely help!

The Referee Store
The goal line is a tricky one. Anticipation and having good mobility will help, but other than that the advice is only give a goal if you see its definitely in and make sure you are in as good a position as possible to add credibility to your decision even if it means sprinting after the fact (it takes a second for defenders to look for your position).

And be honest about it, players respect "I didn't see it was clearly over the line, I can't give it" although they will give you a bit of banter about it after the game!

Open play getting to the goal-line every time is an issue for everyone Rich, so panic not.

If you use your positioning at dead ball times, attacking f/k's and corners to your advantage, you'll actually 'suggest' to players you're pretty much on the spot all of the time.

What I mean is, running flat out in open play, getting up to the goal line can be really difficult, slippery surface, ball hoofed from far end etc, can't odds that unless you're a greyhound!

Dead ball time affords you more opportunity to sell yourself.

If you can develop 3-4 'starting positions' at attacking f/k's & corners, you can from just a few yards suddenly 'appear' as if by magic on the goal line when the big decision happens along.

I say 3-4 positions as a minimum, players quickly clock on to referees who start from the same position every time, if you vary it they're left wondering where you'll pop up next (it's very satisfying to 'blow' for a corner to be taken - with all of the players aware you're standing near the far angle of the penalty area - but then as soon as the kick is taken you're somehow blowing again from the back post awarding a f/k against 9 for holding the defending 5..........and you're 5 yards away from him......because you've travelled there in the time between your signal to restart and the kick actually happening)

Blow and go at dead balls mate, players become confident in you if you use dead ball time wisely, and of course when they see you make every effort to be as close as possible -without getting in the way!-during open play

Back