A&H

Yellow then immediate straight red

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Game yesterday morning, 3 on 2 counter attack. Ball carrier gets into the final third and an opposition midfielder catches him up, grabs his shirt and drags him down. Easy yellow, however the fouled player gets up and ‘squares up’ to the offender, and the offender immediately grabs him round the throat. Easy red, but how would you deal with the cards now? Straight red then that’s it? Or are you inclined to show a booking for the initial foul, then follow it with a straight red?

The Referee Store
No one would bat an eye lid if you just go for the red. But technically a yellow and then a red is the correct sanctions.

If you have to write a report with the full details of the incident, I'd do everything the technically correct way.

You may also yellow card the attacker who 'squared up'.

Had you shown the original yellow ?
Not before the red card incident

No one would bat an eye lid if you just go for the red. But technically a yellow and then a red is the correct sanctions.

If you have to write a report with the full details of the incident, I'd do everything the technically correct way.

You may also yellow card the attacker who 'squared up'.
Conscious of the fact that showing a yellow then a red with no other yellow might confuse people around me, I called in the captain with the player as well to explain the decision. Showed the initial yellow first, explained the card. Then told them I’d also be sending them off for VC, showed the red. No arguments from player or captain . No reports required

Opposition player was then shown a yellow for the squaring up.

Not sure if this is the correct process but thought the best decision at the time was just to give all cards just in case. I thought if this was incorrect it would be easier to justify than missing out any cards

Conscious of the fact that showing a yellow then a red with no other yellow might confuse people around me, I called in the captain with the player as well to explain the decision. Showed the initial yellow first, explained the card. Then told them I’d also be sending them off for VC, showed the red. No arguments from player or captain . No reports required

I think that was spot on given the circumstances.

Back