A&H

Yesterday

Am sure we all been on 6th game of week striking 5pm Sun and dont even know who is playing, far less care whose throw it is!
You'd end up in the Sin Bin for being sarcastic.😁
"far less care"? Never the case. Some people tend to take a lot of pride in what they giving their time up for (hobby in my case) and I believe I'm one of them. Same applies to grammar.😅

The Referee Store
You'd end up in the Sin Bin for being sarcastic.😁
"far less care"? Never the case. Some people tend to take a lot of pride in what they giving their time up for (hobby in my case) and I believe I'm one of them. Same applies to grammar.😅

Good job then awarding throws is not an english lesson...

I don't think dropping games is the solution.
I've had 5 games in one week; 2 AR and 3 în the middle. You can have a crap day in the first game and no trouble with the others or you can have 4 decent ones and the last one not great. I treat them as they go, one game at the time, alway expecting the worst. If that doesn't happen I'll be "wow": "I didn't expect that!"
I am sure you'll be fine in the next game, but one bit of advice; go with your gut feeling. If you've given a pen initially, probably you should have stuck with that.

Good luck in the future and keep being positive.

I dont mean to sound condescending, but I know I'll be fine I the next game. I was fine yesterday, I was just wondering why I was bothering once again. The actual abuse etc is just part of being a ref for me. I played from 8-33 and this is my 4th season as a ref (almost exclusively adults). I've probably been involved in more than 1500 football matches in my lifetime at a very rough guess. From 16-18 I was playing 3 games a weekend. The issue is not the abuse in any individual game, I really can handle myself.

It's the consistent nature of it in our game that reduces my enjoyment. Anyone can say anything to me and it will be dealt with appropriately and then I've moved on before I've finished my post match pint. This does not change how my enjoyment has eroded as the season has gone on. I think the correct thing to do is to drop some lesser games. And that's completely opposite to my previous thinking.

Yeh, I see what you mean
I can't take my kids to NUFC away games (not that I would anyway). The behaviour of our lot is off the scale away from home. Football is often not suitable for kids anymore.
Replying to my own tweet... but councidentally a close friend left the EFL final today with his 8 year old son after 20 mins when a nasty fight broke out a few rows back. Biting each other, as you do. That's the difference. Today's Libereral Society is strangely a lot nastier than it once was

I dont mean to sound condescending, but I know I'll be fine I the next game. I was fine yesterday, I was just wondering why I was bothering once again. The actual abuse etc is just part of being a ref for me. I played from 8-33 and this is my 4th season as a ref (almost exclusively adults). I've probably been involved in more than 1500 football matches in my lifetime at a very rough guess. From 16-18 I was playing 3 games a weekend. The issue is not the abuse in any individual game, I really can handle myself.

It's the consistent nature of it in our game that reduces my enjoyment. Anyone can say anything to me and it will be dealt with appropriately and then I've moved on before I've finished my post match pint. This does not change how my enjoyment has eroded as the season has gone on. I think the correct thing to do is to drop some lesser games. And that's completely opposite to my previous thinking.
Yes drop the lesser games. That's it

Sorry to hear mate. I went through a similar phase at the tail end of 2021, triggered by 3 different incidents. First one was a big top of the table game, really enjoyed it, lots of great feedback including from the away secretary (who's team had lost), bit I got absolutely destroyed by the observer and got a really bad mark. Second was having a player attempt to headbutt me a few weeks later and the third, not long after was a big cup game, where I made a fairly bad mistake early on and at the end of the game got accused of being a cheat and it went fairly wide on social media.

I was dreading games, I'd get to the morning of a game and be willing myself to pull a muscle by slipping in the shower or something like that so I had a genuine reason to not do the game.

I don't know what happened to turn things around, had a week or so off with a planned date closure, spent some time speaking to some of my refereeing mates and gave myself a plan to go out and give it 100% until the end of the season, then decide what I wanted to do. The past month or so has been good, I've turned the corner and really started enjoying it again, so I'd suggest you try and stick with it.

One other thing, I'd say that Step 7 is probably the worst level in adult football to referee at. They are the first step on the pyramid so often have a bit of a high opinion of themselves but they are in truth not that good, plus you have CAR's. I find that the level of discipline at Step 7 is worse as well. Going out in a 3 at step 6 and above is chalk and cheese to step 7 and far more enjoyable.

Sorry to hear mate. I went through a similar phase at the tail end of 2021, triggered by 3 different incidents. First one was a big top of the table game, really enjoyed it, lots of great feedback including from the away secretary (who's team had lost), bit I got absolutely destroyed by the observer and got a really bad mark. Second was having a player attempt to headbutt me a few weeks later and the third, not long after was a big cup game, where I made a fairly bad mistake early on and at the end of the game got accused of being a cheat and it went fairly wide on social media.

I was dreading games, I'd get to the morning of a game and be willing myself to pull a muscle by slipping in the shower or something like that so I had a genuine reason to not do the game.

I don't know what happened to turn things around, had a week or so off with a planned date closure, spent some time speaking to some of my refereeing mates and gave myself a plan to go out and give it 100% until the end of the season, then decide what I wanted to do. The past month or so has been good, I've turned the corner and really started enjoying it again, so I'd suggest you try and stick with it.

One other thing, I'd say that Step 7 is probably the worst level in adult football to referee at. They are the first step on the pyramid so often have a bit of a high opinion of themselves but they are in truth not that good, plus you have CAR's. I find that the level of discipline at Step 7 is worse as well. Going out in a 3 at step 6 and above is chalk and cheese to step 7 and far more enjoyable.

Thanks but its not the incident itself. I've loved step 7 and I've been reffing well in it I think. Got a great rapport with most teams and players. I've probably not made myself clear but it's not that I don't enjoy it, it's just that the enjoyment is lessening as the season progresses. I've dropped the Sunday League stuff for a few weeks.

On another note, I've just tested positive for covid (been rough since Saturday night but tested negative on Sunday). Maybe that's why. An enforced breaks this weekend now!

Thanks but its not the incident itself. I've loved step 7 and I've been reffing well in it I think. Got a great rapport with most teams and players. I've probably not made myself clear but it's not that I don't enjoy it, it's just that the enjoyment is lessening as the season progresses. I've dropped the Sunday League stuff for a few weeks.

On another note, I've just tested positive for covid (been rough since Saturday night but tested negative on Sunday). Maybe that's why. An enforced breaks this weekend now!
👍🏼 sometimes it does start to feel like a grind and when you get incidents like yours then it exacerbates that feeling and lack of enjoyment.

Back