A&H

Junior/Youth Yesterday's Game...

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Not quite sure where to start with this one, so many incidents!

Reffed an U16 game yesterday (Yellow v Orange). What should have been a decent game turned out to be exactly the opposite! Anyway, there were a few incidents I wanted to get some opinions on:

1) Mid-way through the second half, the ball was played across the box by Yellow and it took a deflection of the Orange defender. My view was just obscured by an attacker as the ball was played, I missed the deflection and pointed for a GK. Straight away the yellow parents and players protested, the linesman (Orange CAR) then pointed to suggest it had gone out for a corner, so I walked over to check and he said it had caught the defender's knee. I pointed for the corner, thanked the linesman and got on with the game happy that the right decision had been made. At the end of the game, however, the Orange manager was furious and said that I wasn't allowed to change my decision. I then explained that their CAR had given it and had no reason to lie to me and that I was able to change my decision because the game hadn't restarted. He wasn't having any of it, there's just no talking to some people. Was I correct to award the corner? The right decision was made so I really don't understand his anger.

2) Into stoppage time at the end of the second half, with Orange leading 3-4, the yellow attacker was tripped on the left wing about 35 yards out. Easiest free kick of the game to give but one of the Orange players who I'd already cautioned for dissent decided he was going to stand on the ball, told him to move back, which he did for all of about a yard before stopping again. Yellow player waiting to take the free kick then told him to get out of the way, to which his response was to go 'Oh f*ck off'. Second yellow, off you go. Then the idiot of a manager for the yellow's decided he was going to start waving at the player I'd dismissed ("off you go" See you" "bye bye") before getting into a shouting match with him. Total stupidity from a grown man, that's misconduct report No1.

3) From the same free kick, the ball was played in and caught by the keeper, who then dropped it into his goal. I had a clear view of the line and blew the whistle to give the goal. AFTER he'd dropped the ball, he was caught in the face by a stray boot, no idea who it was because there were 22 players in the box but I'm certain it was accidental. Cue chaos, coaches screaming at me, players screaming at me. The coaches came running on, I thought to treat the injured player, but they were both pointing fingers and claiming he'd been kicked into the net. That 100% wasn't the case, I had a clear view and the keeper dropped the ball over the line BEFORE he was caught in the face. The coaches told me I was a "F***ing disgrace" and that I ought to be ashamed. I told them that I wasn't willing to discuss it until they calmed down and stepped back whilst they treated the keeper. They did that and then continued to have a go, I told them to leave the FOP. The Orange manager then waited for me at the end of the game, which was as soon as we'd kicked off again to continue to vent his anger. I again asked him to calm down and explained what I'd seen but he wasn't willing to listen, I informed him that he was being reported for misconduct before moving away.

I just can't accept that kind of behaviour from coaches, I'm experienced enough not to be intimidated by it but I's hate another ref to have to go through that, it was awful. Their focus should have been on treating the injured player, not me.

I tend to be quite self-critical when I'm reffing but I was happy with my overall performance and the decisions I made. Just wondering if I could have handled anything differently?

The Referee Store
In My Opinion point one was the correct thing to do. Whats the point of having assistants if you dont let them help you?

Point 2 I would say you did good too. The only thing you could possibly have done would be to talk to them both and ask them to stop.

I dont have much to say on point 3 as ive never really experienced it to that level.

Hope that helped

In My Opinion point one was the correct thing to do. Whats the point of having assistants if you dont let them help you?

Point 2 I would say you did good too. The only thing you could possibly have done would be to talk to them both and ask them to stop.

I dont have much to say on point 3 as ive never really experienced it to that level.

Hope that helped

Thanks Josh! On point 2, It had got to the stage where talking wasn't working, I didn't feel there was any other option.:(

my opinion

1) you got it right...as long as the keeper hadn't already taken the goal kick

2) should have been a straight red for offensive language, not a second yellow. i would have spoken to coach and made it clear that any repeat and he was going to be sent away from the pitch

3) coach who swore - sent away from pitch, other coach, warned that any repeat and he's gone, too.

misconduct reports to fa re yellow coach and both orange coaches

Back