A&H

You Are The Ref - 18th March

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Latest "You Are The Ref" in the guardian....

"A striker who is clean through on goal suddenly pulls up, looks like he has torn a hamstring. When the couching keeper hesitates and stands up, the striker smashes the ball into the net. It was a ruse, do you award the goal or not?"

Most on the guardian believe the keeper should have played to the whistle and to an extent they are right, but if the feigning of injury was blatantly obvious, I am inclined to go with IDFK to the defending to and yellow card the clown for unsporting behaviour!

"A midfielder commits a foul worthy of a second yellow card, but you play advantage as the opposition are in on goal. When the shot is blocked and cleared, it falls to the player you planned to book, he turns races upfield and scores a screamer, what do you do?"

Something I have seen mentioned a few times on here regarding never playing on if you intend to red card a player for this very reason. Anyone brave enough to allow the goal to stand, but still show the goalscorer a 2nd yellow for the earlier foul? :)

The Referee Store
Latest "You Are The Ref" in the guardian....

"A striker who is clean through on goal suddenly pulls up, looks like he has torn a hamstring. When the couching keeper hesitates and stands up, the striker smashes the ball into the net. It was a ruse, do you award the goal or not?"

Most on the guardian believe the keeper should have played to the whistle and to an extent they are right, but if the feigning of injury was blatantly obvious, I am inclined to go with IDFK to the defending to and yellow card the clown for unsporting behaviour!

USB simulation works for me. Attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury - if his play acting is that blatant, it fits.

"A midfielder commits a foul worthy of a second yellow card, but you play advantage as the opposition are in on goal. When the shot is blocked and cleared, it falls to the player you planned to book, he turns races upfield and scores a screamer, what do you do?"
Something I have seen mentioned a few times on here regarding never playing on if you intend to red card a player for this very reason. Anyone brave enough to allow the goal to stand, but still show the goalscorer a 2nd yellow for the earlier foul? :)

If you played on (must have been quite the opportunity!) then so be it, good goal midfielder, sadly you committed a reckless tackle back there and I played advantage, here is your second caution/red for the foul and off you go.

Ref has made his bed in this instance and will get flack. Nut up and do what you have to do. Then repeat the learning mantra a thousand times as penance - do not play advantage when you are sending a player off. Not unless it is a tap in and even then think hard!

Scenario 2 - I am one of those people you mention. I do not care what the situation, if he's getting sent off I'm not playing advantage. No ifs, no buts, no maybes about it. Instant blow and bye bye.
There are many things where I'll happily sit here and listen to/read an argument or debate about a situation...but not this. No-one will EVER get me to change my opinion, sorry.

For scenario 2, I'm mostly with @DanCohen17 -- the only time I'm not is when it should result in an easy goal.

Now, would that get me in trouble if the player with the "advantage" is too useless to score that goal? Maybe. :)

1) - He isn't trying to deceive the referee, it's just a question whether this is going too far in deception against the keeper. I'm not convinced it is, but there's certainly a case for it

2)Well, it's easy - if you play advantage then you can't book him/send him off until the next natural stoppage. You should only consider playing advantage on a player being sent off.

USB simulation is only for trying to deceive the referee - there's no offence of trying to deceive an opponent, as far as I'm aware. The only USB offence that I think could be used here is the old catch-all of "acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game" but I'm not convinced that would apply here. Anyway, just to play devil's advocate for a moment, unless we're mind readers, how do we know it's a ruse? Sometimes players feel a twinge, hesitate but then carry on.

CapnBloodbeard suggest that if you play advantage then you can only caution or dismiss a player
at the "next natural stoppage". The Laws however only say:

If the offence warrants a caution, it must be issued at the next stoppage.
However, unless there is a clear advantage, it is recommended that the referee
stops play and cautions the player immediately. If the caution is NOT issued at
the next stoppage, it cannot be shown later. (Law 5 Interpretations and guidelines)

No mention of "natural" stoppages at all. In fact the referee is fully entitled to stop play for no other reason than to
issue a caution (we see this for Dissent quite often).

So to go back to Mooseybaby's original question about the referee playing advantage only to see the potential
yellow carded player racing off to score; the ref is fully entitled to play the advantage and then if the advantage does not pan out
whistle the game dead as the other team break away, and then caution the player...restarting with IFK to opposition. Simples.

I think 'natural stoppage' is implied. If the laws intended for you to be able to stop play, then they would specify as such.

You can't apply advantage AND a free kick for an offence.

I would suggest that in feigning injury he is also trying to deceive the referee.

Deceit is in the eye of the beholder... Trying to deceive you, feigning injury, simulation, wham bam thank you mam.

1) Blow whistle disallow goal caution player for USB
2) If original shot was blocked and cleared, no stoppage in play, player scores his screamer,play then stopped then gets his second yellow for original foul.

Hackett's reply (The Observer yesterday):

No goal. You should have stopped play the moment the ball reached the player you planned to dismiss - he shouldn't be on the pitch and you cannot allow him to benefit from the advantage you awarded the opposition. Call him over and show him a second yellow, then a red. Restart with an IDFK, taken from where the ball was when it reached him - the point at which you should have stopped play.

Making it up as he goes along again...

Lol stretches the meaning of "a couple of seconds to see if advantage occurs"

Believing he is injured ;) the law is very vague and allows this to fit. It doesn't mention there having to be a reason for the player feigning injury.

Believing he is injured ;) the law is very vague and allows this to fit. It doesn't mention there having to be a reason for the player feigning injury.
Makes sense to me. Given that whenever a player is injured we have to decide whether or not it is serious enough to stop play, a player choosing to 'confuse' me on this issue (and hey, it doesn't take much :rolleyes:) can take what's coming to him :)

Scenario 2 - I am one of those people you mention. I do not care what the situation, if he's getting sent off I'm not playing advantage. No ifs, no buts, no maybes about it. Instant blow and bye bye.
There are many things where I'll happily sit here and listen to/read an argument or debate about a situation...but not this. No-one will EVER get me to change my opinion, sorry.

I am also stopping play wherever a red card is involved. Even though I had a near riot when I stopped play and issued a second caution even though attackers team mate was running on to score. When he kicked off I said you were 50-50 to miss it!

Back