A&H

you can't shout leave it

andrew ref

Level 6 Referee
Had this in my adult game yesterday. trying to tell grown men its not a foul unless it distracts an opponent was met with confused looks, main culprit received a caution which he looked bemused about

The Referee Store
Oh yeah, it's fantastic when you're a fairly young referee and you're trying to tell players who have been playing for longer than you've been alive that it's not an offence (especially when you know there are referees in your area who think it is!). Players aren't great at figuring things out...

I had exactly the same last Saturday. Red team goalkeeper shouted "let it go" to his team mate to allow the ball to run out for a goal kick. It was perfectly clear who it was shouted at and what it meant and, to be fair, there was no hint of any complaint from the players. However, a blue team supporter started bleating from the side lines that "no name was used" and that you can't shout "that sort of thing". I had a sly laugh to myself when a blue player made an identical shout 10 minutes later - no comment at all from the touch line, despite being much closer to the supporter in question. Perhaps he had realised the error of his ways!

This was also the same game as I was screamed an appeal at me, blatantly dissent , from 5 yards away.

'You can't book me I didn't swear'
'Yeah but you did just scream at me from 5 yards away, if I had to draw a picture of dissent for someone I'd draw that'

Dugouts were crying with laughter (in my support)

I've had this once or twice...
'Ref he can't call "Leave it"!'
'Not an offence in itself fella, only if it's done to put an opponent off.'
'But it did put me off!'

Trying to explain that being distracted just because the player doesn't understand the laws properly doesn't count just isn't worth it! :p

To be fair Alex the exact LOTG wording probably support the player in your example, it's referees who have decided there has to be an intent to distract.

It's about last weeks ref in a good way. Genuinely not their fault that they've been told it by coaches since year dot.

Not helped by referees doing it! Can it/is it mentioned in the starter course @Brian Hamilton

To be fair Alex the exact LOTG wording probably support the player in your example, it's referees who have decided there has to be an intent to distract.
I see your point, although the player's distraction results only from an inadequate knowledge of the LotG, so I'm not going to punish the player making the call for the other's ignorance.

With the standard "you can't say leave it" calls, all I tell them is to come to me at half-time or full-time and I'll show them the law in the magic book. Obviously don't use this technique in a hot-tempered match where inviting them in would lead to any more issues...

This happens every week to me seriously. I had one junior team manager in a pre-season friendly a few months ago who told me i was wrong not to give a free kick for "leave it" with no one near the player as it rolled out for a throw in, until he was blue in the face.. (its an expression) I politely asked him to google it for me as i must need to update my knowledge of the laws of the game. He whipped out his phone and said "I will ref i'll find the exact rule" (obviously not realising they are laws not rules!) After about ten minutes the ball went out for a throw in near him so i said jokingly "did you find that rule mate?" he told me he was still looking and he'd find it but by this time he was laughing etc. After that i forgot about it to be honest and i carried on with the game. with about 15 mins left (of a 35 each way game) i heard a shout of "ay ref, i still cant find this rule you know mate, i think you might be right on this one".... funny the poor bugger must of spent over half an hour googling it!!!

Verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a re-start?

Used to be deliberately 'deludes' an opponent

Situation/circumstances rule here I guess?

If we flip the coin on this one .....the LAW is broken many times in every game when players put their name on a ball when are 0bviously not going to win the challenge (usually on headers ) and keepers who come running out of goal shouting the very word !!

They are only putting the attacking player off his touch !

This seems to have become an accepted part of the game ? though both instances are a deliberate attempt to distract an opponent

@Beezer I see what you mean. It' is accepted as part of the game in that instance "because he shouted his name (ref)!" further propagating the myth that you are safe to shout out your name! But nothing else. :D

I've probably booked more than most refs for the intentional distraction shout, probably given more IFKs too. Must be a bug bear of mine. I've knocked it down a few pegs but still have a firm word with the player.

Back