A&H

You send off a player, his team lifts

one

RefChat Addict
Saturday's game. Red vs Blue top division OA grassroots. 75th minute and blue leading 3-1. Clear SPA C/L slide tackle by red and yellow card is out followed by Red card as it was his second. The player claims he didn't touch him. He even asks me "I should have a look at it again because he is sure he didn't touch him". Brought a smile to my face. First time I've heard that since VAR came about. Anyway his team which was being totally out played until that point lifts and deservedly score two goals in 15 minutes for a draw.
After the game the coach comes over for hand shakes not sure to thank me for the send off or criticise me. He timidly says "I don't think he touched him". Just a smile from me and that was that. Some red players joking say I should have sent him off earlier so they would have more time to score another goal. I even got a handshake from the sent off player accepting his sent off and having a lough about the review request.

Second time this has happened. The previous one was years ago when the players thanked me for sending off their team mate which made them lift their game to score two in the last ten minutes to win by a goal.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Slightly different but years ago my father played cricket and played a certain team every year with two old plodders opening the batting, behind them were 3-4 very good batters! The used to bowl at the opening two not to get them out! They’d score 2-3 an over and the others behind were far better younger batsmen who could club you all over. My dads job was to not aim for the wickets and drop them if a catch came. His team mates all knew the plan and executed it to a tee..

Stopping a Promising Attack
CareLess
And you (second) cautioned (and then dismissed) the player for a careless tackle because...?

EDIT: Apologies - I assume you cautioned him for the SPA, and not the C/L.

Reactions: one
And you (second) cautioned (and then dismissed) the player for a careless tackle because...?

EDIT: Apologies - I assume you cautioned him for the SPA, and not the C/L.
The caution was for stopping the promising attack (presumably) as otherwise it would have simply been a careless foul

Back