A&H

Your biggest game?

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Just wondering what everyone's 'biggest' game has been. I've been refereeing for about 8 months and so far my only 'big' games are an u14 early round of the County Cup and u13 Norwich City vs Leyton Orient. Really hoping for some bigger games next season (not that it matters really), but I'm happy with my progress so far!

The Referee Store
Reffed for 15 months. Had 2 AR games in semis. Vets league and the local Saturday morning League. I've had 3 county cup fixtures this season but didn't get one in the last round of matches. I rotate between league's so maybe that influences why I don't get big games more regularly? Also, there are many more experienced and better refs than I no doubt.

Reffed for 15 months. Had 2 AR games in semis. Vets league and the local Saturday morning League. I've had 3 county cup fixtures this season but didn't get one in the last round of matches. I rotate between league's so maybe that influences why I don't get big games more regularly? Also, there are many more experienced and better refs than I no doubt.
Do you know what level they tend to appoint refs to Youth FA Cup games? Not that I'm expecting one anytime soon, just out of interest.

Do you know what level they tend to appoint refs to Youth FA Cup games? Not that I'm expecting one anytime soon, just out of interest.

I've no idea,I don't do youth games apart from on rare occasions when it suits. Others will know on here is imagine

Yeh, rotating leagues probably might dent your chances of getting finals etc
If you're keen on County Cup appointments, a brief email to the secretaries committing yourself to any dates (not blocked out) and a pledge to be eager and reliable probably helps. I turned down a youth final because I knew too many of the players in one team and didn't feel it appropriate to take the whistle. The RefSec didn't know of my connections with the team

Yeh, rotating leagues probably might dent your chances of getting finals etc
If you're keen on County Cup appointments, a brief email to the secretaries committing yourself to any dates (not blocked out) and a pledge to be eager and reliable probably helps. I turned down a youth final because I knew too many of the players in one team and didn't feel it appropriate to take the whistle. The RefSec didn't know of my connections with the team

Where I am you have to send an email to the CFA referee officer and the secretary of all the league's with any closed dates you have each month. Today, like most Sunday's, I did 2 matches, the second one was too help out the League Secretary who often asks if I can do an afternoon game as they're usually short of refs. I do it to help out and I don't enjoy the 2nd games much as it's hard work after my Saturday and Sunday morning games and mentally I've had enough tbh. Hopefully it'll stand me in good stead in the future for bigger appointments, we shall see

Where I am you have to send an email to the CFA referee officer and the secretary of all the league's with any closed dates you have each month. Today, like most Sunday's, I did 2 matches, the second one was too help out the League Secretary who often asks if I can do an afternoon game as they're usually short of refs. I do it to help out and I don't enjoy the 2nd games much as it's hard work after my Saturday and Sunday morning games and mentally I've had enough tbh. Hopefully it'll stand me in good stead in the future for bigger appointments, we shall see
Yes, i'm not keen on that 3rd game of the weekend, so usually decline. A few weeks back, i couldn't call a goal for a ball that had probably crossed the line because i was tired and off the pace in said 3rd game

Yes, i'm not keen on that 3rd game of the weekend, so usually decline. A few weeks back, i couldn't call a goal for a ball that had probably crossed the line because i was tired and off the pace in said 3rd game

I can keep the pace, my issue is more that the enthusiasm has worn off and I'm not enjoying it. Your performance in anything drops if you don't enjoy it. This afternoon's game was a precession too. Top v bottom on a brilliant 4g surface. Bottom team couldn't get near them. Felt a very long 90 mins if I'm honest

Just wondering what everyone's 'biggest' game has been. I've been refereeing for about 8 months and so far my only 'big' games are an u14 early round of the County Cup and u13 Norwich City vs Leyton Orient. Really hoping for some bigger games next season (not that it matters really), but I'm happy with my progress so far!

This season?

County cup round 1. Hah, I actually do have round 3 coming up next week, was supposed to be yesterday but the rain ruined that.

Last season my biggest match was a local cup game due to it being my first season back after a long lay off.

I got quite far in the league set up as an assistant before my lay off though, and I took control of an U16's final way back when. Am okay with that.

I can keep the pace, my issue is more that the enthusiasm has worn off and I'm not enjoying it. Your performance in anything drops if you don't enjoy it. This afternoon's game was a precession too. Top v bottom on a brilliant 4g surface. Bottom team couldn't get near them. Felt a very long 90 mins if I'm honest
That's the thing though. No referee can give a game their undivided attention to back-2-back appointments. Even if it's Youth Division 4, it bothers me if they're not getting my full application. It's difficult, as we're all under pressure to that extra game at grass roots

It's the mental fatigue that's the difficult thing. I only do two age groups that arent OA and that's u18 & u21. So even though I've had no bad dissent all weekend etc, I've still had 270 mins + of the usual low level stuff and obvious disagreement and I defy anyone to have that and not let it effect them at all. It's boring and you can feel your tolerance lowering by the minute in the final game! I told one player that I was on my second game of the day and that I've been 2 refs and 4 linesman today when he argued with an obvious offside call today which even his team mates were taking the mickey out of him for contesting. When he whinged about me a bit more I said if I wasn't here doing my second game then none of us would be! It would have helped if both teams were good as that would drag me along with them but when it's so one sided it's a a minor battle to stay 100% switched on. Having said that, as a football man my entire life, I hate the thought of 2 managers and 30 players training and looking forward to a match all week and then having no game and the game is the most important thing

It's the mental fatigue that's the difficult thing. I only do two age groups that arent OA and that's u18 & u21. So even though I've had no bad dissent all weekend etc, I've still had 270 mins + of the usual low level stuff and obvious disagreement and I defy anyone to have that and not let it effect them at all. It's boring and you can feel your tolerance lowering by the minute in the final game! I told one player that I was on my second game of the day and that I've been 2 refs and 4 linesman today when he argued with an obvious offside call today which even his team mates were taking the mickey out of him for contesting. When he whinged about me a bit more I said if I wasn't here doing my second game then none of us would be! It would have helped if both teams were good as that would drag me along with them but when it's so one sided it's a a minor battle to stay 100% switched on. Having said that, as a football man my entire life, I hate the thought of 2 managers and 30 players training and looking forward to a match all week and then having no game and the game is the most important thing
They still have a game, but without you in the middle. It's always your choice, you have to determine if you're getting more out of the additional game than you're putting in. With four kids, I can't justify it, but i'm not sure that I would on a regular basis; regardless

They still have a game, but without you in the middle. It's always your choice, you have to determine if you're getting more out of the additional game than you're putting in. With four kids, I can't justify it, but i'm not sure that I would on a regular basis; regardless

Yes they will still have a game agreed, I was being a tad dramatic lol. The little angel on the shoulder often just wants to help the league secretary and teams out and there's the vain hope that the extra effort will be recognised too I suppose. I have 2 step kids so the afternoon Sunday match can be a difficult one. "I thought you'd be home more now you've given up playing not less" lol. Still, it beats shopping or whatever people do at weekends!!!

Back