A&H

Your local Referees' Association - help/advice needed!

Peach

Level 4 Referee
Evening all.

I have recently been made the Chair of my local RA (Yeovil & District) and really want to make a positive impact on our association and help it grow/flourish. To that end, please could I ask for any comments (good or bad) about what you like about your local RA, what they do well/not so well, what you enjoy/take from the meetings, what you'd like to see more of or less of etc.

We have a decent core of around 15-20 members and expanding with the new courses, meet once a month at Yeovil Town FC and each one will have a different topic (CPR, quiz, scenarios etc). We can ask for a PGMOL guest speaker through the CFA, but this is then normally offered to everyone in the County (rightly so) and takes place elsewhere, so I'm looking for suggestions on things to incorporate for our usual meetings. Any help/opinions/advice greatly appreciated!

And if anyone is down this way and would like to come along feel free to DM for details!

The Referee Store
Evening all.

I have recently been made the Chair of my local RA (Yeovil & District) and really want to make a positive impact on our association and help it grow/flourish. To that end, please could I ask for any comments (good or bad) about what you like about your local RA, what they do well/not so well, what you enjoy/take from the meetings, what you'd like to see more of or less of etc.

We have a decent core of around 15-20 members and expanding with the new courses, meet once a month at Yeovil Town FC and each one will have a different topic (CPR, quiz, scenarios etc). We can ask for a PGMOL guest speaker through the CFA, but this is then normally offered to everyone in the County (rightly so) and takes place elsewhere, so I'm looking for suggestions on things to incorporate for our usual meetings. Any help/opinions/advice greatly appreciated!

And if anyone is down this way and would like to come along feel free to DM for details!
Keep "business" to a minimum (monthly e-newsletter instead); ensure teenage members have something to keep them interested and attending; encourage "match incidents" discussion (allow anonymous submission of these); online forum for members; guest speakers to include club managers, appointment and mentor secretaries; make quizzes fun by using Slido (reduces embarrassment and feaf factor)
Best wishes!

In house mentoring to new/inexperienced referees, as a new referee, after being mentored once, there has little to no contact from my CFA. My local RA has mentoring that they offer to new referees, it helps us newbies to improve and helps the RA to attract new members

I once proposed that instead of being sat in the room watching clips or listening to someone presenting something like we usually do, it would be good for us all to go and watch a supply league game together. We could discuss the performance of the officials as a group and discuss what they were doing right/wrong as the game went on.

It might not work but I always thought it would be decebt to give it a go and try something different.

It never happened but it would have been worth a go imo.

I once proposed that instead of being sat in the room watching clips or listening to someone presenting something like we usually do, it would be good for us all to go and watch a supply league game together. We could discuss the performance of the officials as a group and discuss what they were doing right/wrong as the game went on.

It might not work but I always thought it would be decebt to give it a go and try something different.

My RA does this, had a supply league manager on a panel, and then a couple of months later we went down to one of his games, just to double check that he is as well behaved as he says he is;)
Wouldn't like to be the in the middle though being scrutinised by 20 fellow referees

Good idea if the interest is there. In a similar size RA Branch a few years ago we arranged visits to a parks league game, then a Supply League game, then a Contributory League game, so new/ younger members could observe the progression.
Sadly numbers attending started low and got lower, but a visit is certainly worth a try.

Back