A&H

Open Age 2 disputed goals

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Had a game yesterday, yellow v orange. Lower mid table clash, neither team having much to play for. Yellows end up winning the game 5-1, but 2 of their goals are disputed.

First one - ball is played through and rolls towards the Orange keeper to the left of goal, right by the by-line he tries to control it and it rolls over his foot, he gives a guilty look, then picks the ball up and trots to put it down for a goal kick. I give a corner as it was marginal as to whether the ball had left the FOP and the reaction of the keeper screamed he'd screwed up (and he didn't argue the decision). Yellow takes the corner, perfect delivery and they score.

Second one, yellows attacking, ball is played out to the left wing where a yellow player is in an offside position, he runs towards the ball, however is still about 3 or so yards away from it, when an orange defender gets to the ball, turns and plays it straight across goal into the path of a different yellow attacker, who scored.

CAR had his flag up, which I'd seen and told him to put down when the winger didn't play the ball, but of course the Orange team felt aggrieved that I'd over ruled him.

Orange teams day got worse as I sent off one of their players for a second yellow right on the final whistle as well!

Not expecting a great club mark, even though I'm certain I got both decisions correct.

The Referee Store
First one is fine, the keeper didn't argue so you must have got it right. But, always always go defensive if you are ever unsure.

Second one is hard to say without seeing it. If the defender only plays the ball because the attacker was there, and the attacker was in an offside position, then you could argue it should be flagged offside. But it sounds like the defender played the ball without knowing the flag was up and he played to the whistle so again you should be fine.

Again, if in doubt take the flag and sell the decision, but do it before he scores.

I would never worry about club marks anyway, it's an average of the two teams so the winning side should be quite generous to offset the losing teams (potential) low score.

The defender only playing the ball because the attacker is there isn't enough to call him offside unfortunately, not unless he was being challenged for the ball. Right decision was made but of course the defence would be upset. As for the first goal - textbook answer is that as you weren't sure it was a goal kick, but we all know sometimes you go with your gut

If the attacker was 3 yards away and was running towards the defender, in my opinion it sounds like a simple offside to me, especially if he is the only attacker in close proximity to the action.

In my view he wasn't actively challenging for the ball. Nor did he interfere with the opponent who played the ball.

The CAR didn't help me out as I had explicity stated touches or actively challenges for the ball. And I was up with play enough to see that he was not challenging for the ball. Had I been further away or had a bad angle it could have been different.

Back