A&H

2 incidents from today

I bumped into a retired Indian doctor in Kwik Fit last week, we had a long conversation about India and separation. He told me a friend of his, another retired Hindu architect, was called a ‘p### in an argument. Apparently he exploded and said in return ‘you can call me a n##### or anything but don’t you dare call me a f#####g P###... Different things wind up different groups!

The Referee Store
Definition of Racism.........The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races........

Massive over reaction IMO to the words allegedly said in the OP!!!....Potential ignorance but thats it!!!
A breach of Rule E3(1) is an “Aggravated Breach” where it includes a reference,
whether express or implied, to any one or more of the following :- ethnic origin,
colour, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual
orientation or disability.
It doesn't have to be 'racist', it just has to make reference to one of the above characteristics, which I would say it does.

and where in that list is not understanding English????? :cool: He may of known that he couldn't understand English and was helping the ref out!!!

Sorry guys but there is not a racist comment in the op. Stating someone doesn't understand English is not racist.
Making the assumption that somebody can't understand english because they appear to be of a different ethnicity is more definitely racist. Let's stop pretending it isn't.

The question is - is that what this comment is doing? Or did the player making that comment actually have reason to believe that - ie that it wasn't a generalisation but a comment about this specific player?
That amount of doubt is why, I think, you're going to have to keep that opponent on the park. Just seems like you couldn't make a convincing argument that it was a negative ethnic generalisation rather than a comment specific to that player - perhaps that opponent had tried talking to the player in question earlier in the match and had no response, for instance.

I think it has to be taken in context. If the player doesn't speak a word of English then it is just a factual statement. Whereas if he does speak English, then it becomes a comment based on his race and falls into the red card category.

And of course something being factual doesn't eliminate the possibility of it being offensive.

I am five foot five, weigh 110Kgs and was born when my parents were not married. Any player calling me a short fat ba5t@rd will have no chance of staying on the pitch.

disappointed in the number of people not saying the situation described in the OP is racist. An opposing player who doesn't know the guy decided he doesn't speak English because he looks Chinese. That's awful and I would happily show Red to teach a life lesson - offensive.

And it seems YHTBT for the pen decision but seems like a learning opp. Shoulder contact is fine unless careless, reckless, or excessive...live and learn.

disappointed in the number of people not saying the situation described in the OP is racist. An opposing player who doesn't know the guy decided he doesn't speak English because he looks Chinese. That's awful and I would happily show Red to teach a life lesson - offensive.

And it seems YHTBT for the pen decision but seems like a learning opp. Shoulder contact is fine unless careless, reckless, or excessive...live and learn.
Another assumption! He may well know the player. Plenty of the low brows I refereed didn't understand English....does that make me an "racist" if I think or state it?

The discussion of racism is irrelevant. If you deemed it to be offensive, insulting or absuvive that’s the end of it. If the player you sent off disagrees than that’s their problem, they shouldn’t have said it in the first place

P.S The fact that people are saying it isn’t racist is quite worrying

But you don't know that he said it "because he looks Chinese". He may have said it because he knew the player, or had spoken to him earlier in the game and knew that he didn't speak a word of English.

For those that are saying red card, would you have done the same if the player was French or Spanish, as opposed to Chinese? I'm not saying it isn't a red card by the way, rather it could be an innocent comment based on the fact that the opposition player doesn't speak any English. One of those that you had to be there and judge on its own merit I would say.

No-one is saying that it may be offensive, it maybe was! The point here is that its never in any way racist!! Thats just silly!!!!

What if the player who said it was Chinese?
Really guys, you have to be there and know all factors to judge it. End of.

The OP says he booked him and spoke to him. Surely he can gauge from this whether he can speak English as at a minimum he would have asked his name

Or another definition....

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Possibly. But explain to us how you ascertain that the player in question has the belief that his own "race" is superior.

Good luck ....

Back