A&H

2020-21 Law Changes

The Referee Store
No more advantage SPA YC is the big one for refs I think.
Also the same principle for the scenario where the referee was going to caution but allows the quick free kick instead. Over on the other thread about the latest changes, the question was asked, what if the offence was a reckless one - still no card? I sent a query to the IFAB and got the following response (complete with typo):
IMG_20200411_102908.png

I was surprised by the diagram of the arm. In the US the teaching has been side versus top (like the seam on a dress shirt). Making the side permissible down to the level of the bottom of the arm pit seems much more difficult to judge, especially for those of us limited to real time.

And GKs get a warning on PKs before a caution, too.

I only did a quick look, but seemed more good than bad on first take.

When you get to my age, you remember how easy it was before they started tinkering...

December 7, 2018

It's another book I can't find, but I think there used to be a "Learn the Game" illustrated booklet that had a diagram that showed a player with hands at his side and the "shoulder" (and thus not the arm) extended to roughly the level of the armpit. That was simple, and it meant you could still move that bit of the "shoulder" to control the ball.

I've been asked to summarise law changes for a Manchester City "outlet".

I've tried to prioritise the ones that I think fans will notice most. Allowing for a bit of fanzone stuff, and a word limit, can anyone see anything factually wrong with the following?

Here we go again with tweaks to the laws – one of which seems designed to enshrine as legal Liverpool’s first goal against City at Anfield this season, where Trent Alexander Arnold handled the ball in his own penalty area and within a few seconds Liverpool scored. The revised law says ‘accidental’ handball by an attacking player (or team-mate) is only penalised if it occurs ‘immediately’ before a goal or clear goal-scoring opportunity. They’ve also dropped the “gains control” bit – but that was ignored anyway, otherwise we’d have beaten Spurs at the Etihad early in the season. Here’s how they’ve changed the wording:

It’s an offence if a player:

gains possession/controlafter the ball after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, and then the player immediately:

• scores in the opponents’ goal (or)

• creates a goal-scoring opportunity

The problem is with the "clarification": “If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand/arm and the ball then goes to another attacking player and the attacking team immediately scores, this is a handball offence; it is not an offence if, after an accidental handball, the ball travels some distance (pass or dribble) and/or there are several passes before the goal or goal-scoring opportunity”.

This clarification needs clarification:

What exactly is a dribble? Can you dribble without an opponent? How close to the ball does the player need to be?
“Immediately”? How long is that?
How far is “some distance”?
How many is “several”? Three passes good, four passes bad?
“and/or”? Seriously? It can't be both.

Another new definition is where the arm stops for handling offences. That goes back to what I always thought it was before people started overthinking – the side of the shoulder is not the arm. See the diagram.

This one will cause controversy: if you’re stopped by a foul that denies an obvious goalscoring offence (DOGSO), it’s a red card for the offender – unless you take a quick free kick before the referee issues the card; if that gives you another clear goal scoring opportunity, the offender only gets a yellow card. So the poor ref has to decide what is a clear GSO after a quick FK before deciding whether to issue red or yellow. And the fouled player has to decide whether to take a quick FK – or let the opponents go down to ten men (but without knowing for sure whether the ref thinks it was a red card offence…) Likewise, if the offender was only guilty of “SPA” (stopping a promising attack) and the ref was going to issue a yellow card but you take the quick FK, no yellow card – unless the foul was for something more serious (e.g. a reckless tackle). The same applies if the foul means you’re not actually brought down and the ref plays advantage – red for DOGSO becomes yellow, and yellow for SPA becomes a bit of a talking to - so if it's early on, stay down for the red card to be issued, but if it's near the end, take the quick FK if it's a better chance to score.

There are other tweaks, e.g. to penalty kicks (during the game or in a shoot-out), but perhaps the biggest change is that for any possible “mistakes” that need VAR (e.g. penalty or not) the expectation is that the referee will go and look at the TV replay rather than let the VAR decide (i.e. for “opinion” decisions), but the VAR will decide the factual (offside, handball, in or out of the area). FIFA threatens to take away the Premier League's VAR licence if PGMOL tries to do their own thing at Stockley Park.

Last edited:
Back