A&H

6 games done....

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
As the title says, I've completed my 6 games and just this morning, I've sent in the paper with all the details.
So what happens now?

The Referee Store
Welcome to the Club!

You'll get a certificate soon I should think.

Best advice (by which I mean I wish someone had said this to me) I can give you is that you should honestly assess yourself after every game. Write down a positive and a negative of how you think you went!

Then you'll know easily where your strengths and weaknesses are to develop upon.

You'll make mistakes but we all do! Just don't make the same mistake twice!

Welcome aboard!

I do anyway @Darius even after a U13 game I ve done yesterday, where I've threatened 2 red players to stop moaning or they are going in the book....
Should have heard the red team parent uproar....
Allegedly I can't dish out cards as they are kids...

Glad I wasn't the only one with a horrible u13s match yesterday :confused:

One thing I did learn very early on in my refereeing journey was to filter out a lot of the garbage from the sidelines. Parents/supporters on one side (generally ignore the hot air and noise from that side) and all I am interest in hearing from the other is "Ref, can I make a sub please?" :)

I'll be controversial and disagree with you!

Don't shut them out, just filter out the rubbish, without them swaying your opinion! They may well be seeing something you're Missing! And the players ARE listening to them....they'll start playing on what they're shouting. Best to listen and then you can react properly when it happens again

A referee who thinks he's always right is just as bad as a referee who is always wrong! Stay humble!

Those 2 players were always contesting any decision made, so after a while it gets boring, and that when I told them.
I am not always right, and remain humble, but even my patience has a limit.

Pull them both in and tell them that the next time they speak they're being cautioned (and follow it through).

PS the humble bit was in response to the post by moose

Thats exactly what I told them, we were close to the sideline where parent were, and the outrage from the red team parents.

1. Maybe pull them away from the touch line next time?

2. Assuming it's the side where the coaches are too, ask the coach if he heard what you've said? Make sure it's loud enough that parents hear. Add 'I'm not here to be taking abuse from 12 year old lads, if they keeping going they'll get booked' (I deliberately said booked here and not cautioned because you want it to be in a language the parents relate to)

Respect barriers should be in place, and under respect the parents/spectators should be on one side of the pitch only, behind the barrier, whilst all coaches/managers are on the other side of the pitch. Try and enforce this before KO (a polite word with the home team manager often works): its good for the younger players as they can identify what is coming from their coaches and what is utter garbage coming from parents. It's also good for you because, again, its easier to filter the noise out (and makes it easier to hear the "Ref, sub please" shouts). I don't want to relight the touchpaper around cards at this age group, but a stepped approach being very visual as you talk to the players (so its clear to both parents and coaches) can work, and of course if it doesn't those coloured pieces of card are in your pocket for a reason... ;) - hopefully though the coaches will understand that a player is close to trouble and might roll them off to calm down if needed. But do not indicate to the manager that you want a player rolled off because he's close to the edge (and young players can easily lose their cool) - the best way of indicating that is coloured yellow.

Back