A&H

7-6 Assessment 2

HarryD

Your application of law was good throughout this game and you knew how to correctly stop, restart play
as and when you needed to. You dealt with dissent correctly cautioning 5 players throughout the distance
of this game which were all warranted especially in the 45th minute when red 14 who had already been
warned by yourself and he continued to disregard your decisions so this was fantastic and he deserved
that mandatory caution.

In the 55th minute you were correct to caution the no 10 and no 6 for red both for dissent which I
have no problems with at all. Just in future when moving up the levels think about how you may have
been able to avoid that confrontation between the two players in the corner to then avoid dissent from
both red players, but well done.

Your match control was good in this testing game for yourself at this level. The players listened to you and
you were on top of the game throughout displaying appropriate involvement as and when needed to. You
controlled situations and spoke with players with empathy when needed to. A good example of this was in
the 31st minute when you correctly blew for a foul just inside the attacking half for Orange. The orange
no 10 wanted you to play advantage but you were correct not to. This was good match control as you
called him in to explain why you didn’t and this was good as this prevented dissent from this player. Your
communication was good in this game when required but like I covered in the debrief; when you progress
I’d like to hear you more but this will come with experience. Well done as you controlled this tough match
well.

Fitness was great in this match you were able to show that in numerous occasions in this game, 23rd 37th,
48th 77th & 83rd minutes very good changes of speed and a good sprint to get up with counter attacks.
Your work rate was very good and you never looked lazy in this match. Positioning was good and you
kept play in view at all times. Like I explained in debrief for free kicks stand in a position where you can
see your assistant and don’t have your back to him otherwise you can’t see if he raises his flag for offside
and also when these free kicks in and around the penalty area be aware of players attacking positions
and move wide so you can judge for fouls and offside yourself like we spoke about in the debrief so to
avoid a situation like when they played a short free kick across the box which led to the ball hitting you
and the other team counter attacking, minor adjustments to positioning will help you as you progress.
Lastly, once there is a free kick move on to get to your next position up the pitch rather than play catch up
as there were a couple of occasions you did this.

In the 90th +3 minute added on there was a free kick at half way line where the ball was played and an
opponent handled the ball by your judgement 10 yards from where it was kicked. You called the Red
player in to caution the player which caused you many problems as it was very late in the game with the
score being 5-0 to Orange. Once you cautioned him he deemed to have said something to you which
meant you showed him a red card for a second cautionable offence however I was still looking at my
notes thinking he’d already been cautioned. I now understand that you cautioned this player twice in a
matter of seconds. You are correct to have done this but think in future was the caution for handball
necessary? Maybe you could have given the free kick and let play continue from there to blow for full time. Then there wouldn’t have been all the problems with players at the end. Fortunate it was full time as if this was earlier in the game this could have been a big problem for match control. However, you controlled the game and you done very well.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

You had a very good first half with not too many problems and dealt with players the way
you would have been expected. The second half saw a lot more dissent from both teams
towards you which didn’t help your match control but you remained calm and strong and
cautioned those you did show you dissent. This is a very good match for your development
to look back on and think how you could have prevented some of these cautions for dissent
by using the Captains and using an staircase approach to warn players of their conduct.

Strengths

1 You dealt with dissent well in todays match so well done and you applied the laws of the game well. Well done.

2 Your match control was tested at times but you were always in control of the game. Be confident in your and your ability.

3 Fitness was great today, your young and got around the pitch with no problems and were able to see all technical offences as you were close to play. Well Done.

Development Points

2 Luckily, it was at end of the game but your match control could seriously be in jeopardy with the events at the end of the game. Think before you act, you could of easily given a free kick and no one was asking for a caution when it’s 5-0. Be aware of skill levels and timings of the game.

3 Positioning. At free kicks don’t have your back to your assistant and find a place to stand where you’re not in players ways. Think before you move and restart play and tell yourself are you in a dangerous position.

7 Don’t try to play advantage when you don’t need to, if there’s a foul in a defensive half give it and move onto your next position. Just do safe refereeing.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

You had a very good first half with not too many problems and dealt with players the way
you would have been expected. The second half saw a lot more dissent from both teams
towards you which didn’t help your match control but you remained calm and strong and
cautioned those you did show you dissent. This is a very good match for your development
to look back on and think how you could have prevented some of these cautions for dissent
by using the Captains and using an staircase approach to warn players of their conduct.

As far as assessments go, I don't think it was too bad.. what does the Refchat community think?

The Referee Store
I think that's a big thumbs up all round Harry. Reads really well and for a 7-6 assessment there are a lot of positives there, much more than I ever got...:(

This reads like one of Mark's assessments...just the language he uses

Back