A&H

9 yellows for one team

akokkalis

My last game on 3d league i show 9 yellow cards for away team. All of them was under the laws of the game.
I dont feel so well with my self because i know that many cards it shoes a weakness for referee.
Usually i show 4-5 cards per game
Any advise from more experienced refs?

The Referee Store
i know that many cards it shoes a weakness for referee.
Absolutely not. It's a myth created by players, managers, leagues (and even some referees) so that we don't show cards even when deserved. Or to go along with the culture of blame everything on the referee.

That's the reason why many referees bottle so many cards to give the impression they are good referees. Where in fact not showing a card when it's deserved isa sign of a weak referee.

Sure too many cards, on the odd occasion can mean a card happy (not weak) referee but the biggest reason for too many cards is ill-disciplined teams.

Last edited:
If the players and-or coaches cant fathom out that you are taking racking up the card count, the onus is on them , not you
If your cards were correct, consistent, no surprises, then, that can be flipped to strong refereeing.
We wont have 9 yc to one team every game. The issue was more the team, than you

Thanks all guys..
By the way observator told me after game.
" all of the cards was correctly given but you have to find the way do not show so mant. :) "

I don’t think I’ve ever had 9 for one team - but sounds like the team didn’t have great discipline!!

Thanks all guys..
By the way observator told me after game.
" all of the cards was correctly given but you have to find the way do not show so mant. :) "

If your cards were correct, respectfully ignore the second part of the observors comments.
If you are coming home after each game with double figures cards, then the pattern might be due to the referee.

Don't worry about showing too many cards, if it's needed and warranted, so be it.

They even do it at the top level...

This was Derby vs Peterborough yesterday. Could've easily been another red in there too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-165532.png
    Screenshot_20220219-165532.png
    691.7 KB · Views: 58
My last game on 3d league i show 9 yellow cards for away team. All of them was under the laws of the game.
I dont feel so well with my self because i know that many cards it shoes a weakness for referee.
Usually i show 4-5 cards per game
Any advise from more experienced refs?
If you are averaging 4-5 yellows per game then either:

The teams where you ref are more badly behaved than average or you are very strict.

My average for adults is around 1.2 per game.

Are your yellows mainly fouls or dissent or a mix?

I just leave this 2006 world cup game here. Some of the yellows could have been straight red.

Never worry about the card count on an individual game. If your pattern is very different from everyone else in the same league over a full season, there is something to think about, but even that doesn't mean you are necessarily wrong.

My last three games :

game 1 3 cards (about average for the league)
game 2 no cards
game 3 9 yellows (albeit not all to one team)

Guess what was different between the 3 and it wasn't the refereeing !

If your cards were correct, respectfully ignore the second part of the observors comments.
If you are coming home after each game with double figures cards, then the pattern might be due to the referee.
Thank you so much. No my average is 4-5 cards splited on both teams usually.

Did he clarify what he means by this? Because it can be quite poor advice taken literally.

Putting my 'nice translation' cap on, I can only assume he means find a way to be firmer earlier on, so you don't need to caution later on. Things like giving a player a talking to early on at their first offence, so they don't go on to do the cautionable offence. Or perhaps it means you needed to be stricter on more minor, trivial fouls to get a tighter reign on the game, so that behaviour and temperature comes down.

That's what I hope he means, but he really should have clarified.

For what it's worth, the cautions were right, so you were spot on, end of story. Don't shy away from them.

Back