A&H

A 48 year old new ref!

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 5 Referee
I'm possibly on the more mature side of new entrants to the referee cadre.

I know that age isn't a barrier and that there are plenty of excellent referees that are older than me, but I would welcome any advice from those that may have got into refereeing later on.

The Referee Store

I know that age isn't a barrier and that there are plenty of excellent referees that are older than me, but I would welcome any advice from those that may have got into refereeing later on.
I'm 47, done four full seasons, started out in youth footy, didn't bother with promotion to begin with, went 7-6, 6-5, passed fitness test, now 5-to-4 in front of paying spectators, enjoying the game, no clue where I'll end up or draw the line, may prefer observing/mentoring in the long run, keeps me out the pub, massive personal development along the way, don't mind being shouted at... it's whatever you make it
We have a Ref in our Sunday League that made it to the National League aged 52
Get going & see where it takes you!

I'm 47, done four full seasons, started out in youth footy, didn't bother with promotion to begin with, went 7-6, 6-5, passed fitness test, now 5-to-4 in front of paying spectators, enjoying the game, no clue where I'll end up or draw the line, may prefer observing/mentoring in the long run, keeps me out the pub, massive personal development along the way, don't mind being shouted at... it's whatever you make it
Did you start solely with youth and then move into OA or did you have a mix? If you started in youth, at what point did you feel confident to make a move to OA?

I know that some of this will be personal preference or confidence. I have worked in education all my life, so quite familiar and comfortable with young people of all age groups.

This has given me a great boost I’m 38 and just getting started and I really want to give this my best shot and see how far I can go

id you start solely with youth and then move into OA or did you have a mix? If you started in youth, at what point did you feel confident to make a move to OA?

I know that some of this will be personal preference or confidence. I have worked in education all my life, so quite familiar and comfortable with young people of all age groups.
I focused on youth football for 6 months or so. My boys play, so it was the natural avenue for me. I think a few months of U15,16,18's was useful in terms of exploring the basic skills needed. It's an individual thing ultimately

Last edited:

You have the benefit of a whole load of life experience which a newly qualified referee who is 30 years younger doesn’t have, use that to your advantage. Depending on how far you want to progress in the game fitness is key as well.
The thing that helped improve my game no end when I’d first started was getting onto the AR panel for my local supply league. Working as part of a team of 3, listening to observers critique the referees performance were all things that gave me little tips and tricks that I could apply to my game to make me a better referee.

Yes speak to your RDO and they should be able to advise on who does the appointments.
If it's anything like down here, they are crying out for assistants and because there is no fitness test on our league this year, that's not a barrier.

Well I am 71 and do two games every Sunday albeit under 11-12s and I do girls u16s 40 each way with no problem I do not smoke or drink which I think must help ?
But oh how I wish I was in my 40s go for it man

I started at 39, just turned 48. Being able to run will help. After a couple of years I was doing so many matches I ran myself fit - but I also got help to learn to run and not get hurt!

Work as AR in a three. A million times yes. Yes, it’s the only shortcut. Yes, it’s the way to learn from much better referees. And yes, if you are lucky, for amazing matches. I get to work as AR with the best U17s in the country (different country;)) and it’s a privilege. To be involved in football of that quality, with a few names on the sidelines, amazing young refs - and get paid to do it - amazing.

But take it one step at a time. There’s loads to learn, there will be very hard matches and doubts. If you get intojust keep doing games, ask for more, ask to AR, ask sensible questions.

As late starters we don’t have access to the same training opportunities as the under 25s - and in my part of the world promotion comes much harder for us - but I do enjoy working with all kinds - and my lord I promise to keep pushing them!

Good luck!

I started at 39, just turned 48. Being able to run will help. After a couple of years I was doing so many matches I ran myself fit - but I also got help to learn to run and not get hurt!

Work as AR in a three. A million times yes. Yes, it’s the only shortcut. Yes, it’s the way to learn from much better referees. And yes, if you are lucky, for amazing matches. I get to work as AR with the best U17s in the country (different country;)) and it’s a privilege. To be involved in football of that quality, with a few names on the sidelines, amazing young refs - and get paid to do it - amazing.

But take it one step at a time. There’s loads to learn, there will be very hard matches and doubts. If you get intojust keep doing games, ask for more, ask to AR, ask sensible questions.

As late starters we don’t have access to the same training opportunities as the under 25s - and in my part of the world promotion comes much harder for us - but I do enjoy working with all kinds - and my lord I promise to keep pushing them!

Good luck!
Great advice. Thank you.

I run the line a lot in my kids football and really enjoy it. It was prompting from a ref after one CAR session that spurred me to do the ref training.

I’m over 50 I find it forces me to maintain a certain level of fitness in order to keep up so helps me in a big way. I too work in education but with children with behaviour needs so don’t get intimidated at all in matches. Open age is different from junior football and whilst it’s good for younger refs to do loads of junior games first, if you’ve got football knowledge, you could start open age sooner than you think. Just tell people it’s your 500th game, you’ll be fine

I was in my mid 30s when I started refereeing and did it for 10 years. Enjoyed it most of the time and my only regret was not starting when I was much younger and fitter. Past serious knee and ankle injuries made post match recovery harder before finally getting the better of me. Would love to still be in the middle on Sundays, but my body just can't handle the punishment anymore. 😭 Good luck to you and well done. 👍

I was in my mid 30s when I started refereeing and did it for 10 years. Enjoyed it most of the time and my only regret was not starting when I was much younger and fitter. Past serious knee and ankle injuries made post match recovery harder before finally getting the better of me. Would love to still be in the middle on Sundays, but my body just can't handle the punishment anymore. 😭 Good luck to you and well done. 👍

I had to stop playing in my early/mid 20s because of a knee injury. It has since been repaired so I am hopeful that it will all hold together! 🤞🏻

Be honest with other referees. I was teamed up with much younger referees, even though I was new, too. I told them I was as green as they were.

When I was their AR, and a teenager was the Center, let then do their job. The hardest part of being 25- 30 years older was remembering they took the test, they passed, and they are in charge. This is their experience.

Encourage and support, but let them decide.

Someone else mentioned fitness.

Back