A&H

A lighter thread - Your favourite decisions?

The Referee Store
That part is remarkable--every time I've seen that happen in a game, everyone on one part of the touchline at midfield was sure they had a better view than the AR standing on the line and knew it hadn't crossed!

I think its because the keeper knew it had gone in and reacted accordingly so no one else bothered. Dont think it was a close game either from memory.

All of mine have come when acting as AR - I think the sense of teamwork just makes the decision feel much better.

The best is probably a few years ago, striker running through and in the penalty area my side. Defender slides and catches his ankle so clear foul. Referee has been caught behind play so is looking at me with ‘HELP’ across his forehead so flag goes up and across the chest (when that was the signal!) few complaints but the referee was so appreciative and the assessor said it was really good team work.

Another was also when a free kick didn’t leave the penalty area so flag went up, referee whistles but wasn’t sure why and everyone was moaning saying it wasn’t a goal kick ... referee came over and I told him and he also told me I was wrong as it wasn’t a goal kick!! Anyway they retook the kick correctly and then at full time we got the LOTG out, referee (level 4) apologised to me and said he didn’t realise and the assessor came in and basically said I prevented the referee from losing marks under application of law so he was appreciative in the end

For me, there are three.

1) Advantage leading to a goal. That's the very obvious one. In a game where goals are normally not plentiful, being able to let play continue to allow a goal to happen is a good feeling.

2) Cautioning for persistent infringement. This has always been a weak area for me, so when I do recognize it I feel like I'm improving. Plus, I think this is a situation where if you can recognize and deal with it, the players will feel like you are protecting them and won't feel the need to retaliate on their own (admittedly, this doesn't always happen).

EDIT - 3) As an AR, being able to recognize a ball completely over the line for a goal. I had one of these last fall where I was able to flag for a goal when the ball was above the keeper's head in a U12 game. I always like this call because it rewards me working hard to get to the goal line and being able to sell the call from the corner flag.

A few people have mentioned playing an advantage and going back and cautioning someone.
Managed to do it myself for the first time. Was chuffed with myself.
Even though it was a friendly I finally had the confidence to show a few yellows that were needed

The best we can hope and aim for, is to get respect from players and match officials who are themselves an absolute headache to referee
I don't mean going out there to please everyone, I mean getting respect via Match Control, consistent AOL, effective communication and good management of verbal offences. AKA 'good refereeing'
Just last week, I cautioned a MO for dissent. That MO now has respect for my refereeing because he momentarily stepped out of line and I dealt with it. Mutual respect in tact
'I don't mean going out there to please everyone'... it's paradoxical because doing this has the reverse effect!

I make it sound easy. It's not. But that's the addictive thing about it. I'd have lost interest straight away if it wasn't so difficult. It is rewarding though, when we feel like we've had 'influence'. However, there are games like @Ben448844 had last week, when it's impossible to do anything other than merely get the game done

Not a decision as such, but a home player kept moaning about the offsides that one of my ARs was giving, usually against him, and his team were getting hammered. He came up to me and said "ref, take the offsides off him as he is hopeless" (this was a contrib game so L4s on the line). I replied "if you want to play in a game where the referee gives offsides go back to Sunday mornings", then added "although the way you are playing that might be the case next season anyway". He wandered off grumbling to himself, then at half time his manager came over to ask if I'd told his player that he should be playing Sunday league. Not quite what I had said, but the sentiment was similar.

It isn’t really a decision but...about a week ago I had a fairly tense game. I gave three penalties (on reflection all were definitely the right decision). Green are given the first pen just after half time, which they score. This leads to them going 3-0 up, but complain at everything and anything I award against them. Then they claim I have missed an offside against blue team (AR flag was up but he was a club AR and it wasn’t offside as the player didn’t interfere with play nor did he impede an opponent), and in response they take down a blue player in the box. So blue get a penalty... which they score, but not before Green manager has complained (and almost ran onto the field of play.) Then green lose their heads and are giving free kicks away at every possible opportunity. First it gets to 3-2. Then 3-3. Then 3-4 and blue have managed to come back from 3-0 down. Now this is the best part... last minute and green are having a final attack, and then green attacker is pushed in the back and trips. Another penalty. And then... they sky it. They lost 3-4. It kinda serves them right for being so rude.

Last edited:
Back