A&H

Accidental Defender handball

Therealcjhill

Ball deflects off defenders foot, knee etc hits defenders arm (in box) his arm is raised either above shoulder or out wide. are we giving penalty or not Or just a penalty if defender clearly moves arm towards ball.
same if it bounces up off teams mates knee etc.

The Referee Store
Ball deflects off defenders foot, knee etc hits defenders arm (in box) his arm is raised either above shoulder or out wide. are we giving penalty or not Or just a penalty if defender clearly moves arm towards ball.
same if it bounces up off teams mates knee etc.
It depends whether you judge the player's arm position to be "a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation" - or not.

It's interesting that you have called the thread, "Accidental Defender handball," though. If you think it's accidental then I would think that's probably indicative of it not being a handball offence.

It depends whether you judge the player's arm position to be "a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation" - or not.

It's interesting that you have called the thread, "Accidental Defender handball," though. If you think it's accidental then I would think that's probably indicative of it not being a handball offence.
it’s because I’ve been told any deflection from the defenders body, regardless of where arms are is not a handball and I want to be 100% certain of this before I stand my ground one game.

it’s because I’ve been told any deflection from the defenders body, regardless of where arms are is not a handball and I want to be 100% certain of this before I stand my ground one game.
It’s a couple of seasons since the bit about "deflection off the body" was removed (and it was not written clearly anyway) so use the current (simpler) wording from Law 12, as Peter has quited above.

A deflection from a defenders body is a consideration for handball but it certainly isn't an absolute. A defender falling backwards with their arm up is different than a defender running with their arm straight above their head.

Ifabs presentation generally gives the defender more of the benefit of the doubt if it goes onto their arm from them or a teammate deliberately playing the ball and it misplays into a raised arm compared to a defender blocking/deflecting a ball onto a raised arm n

Probably should have called it deflected handball

A deflection from a defenders body is a consideration for handball but it certainly isn't an absolute. A defender falling backwards with their arm up is different than a defender running with their arm straight above their head.

Ifabs presentation generally gives the defender more of the benefit of the doubt if it goes onto their arm from them or a teammate deliberately playing the ball and it misplays into a raised arm compared to a defender blocking/deflecting a ball onto a raised arm n
I had a situation where ball hit a defenders knee. Hit their arm. Arm was raised parallel with shoulders and extended above head. I gave a penalty, as I didn’t think arm needed to be there or could justify it being there. Was told because of deflection it shouldn’t have been given.

I had a situation where ball hit a defenders knee. Hit their arm. Arm was raised parallel with shoulders and extended above head. I gave a penalty, as I didn’t think arm needed to be there or could justify it being there. Was told because of deflection it shouldn’t have been given.

Was it the defender playing the ball or trying to clear a cross or was it more the defender blocking a shot or pass from a attacker? UEFA/IFAB would generally treat the former as no offense and the later as an offense.

Was it the defender playing the ball or trying to clear a cross or was it more the defender blocking a shot or pass from a attacker? UEFA/IFAB would generally treat the former as no offense and the later as an offense.
Yes corner.. i think ball came in attacker had a shot, ball hit defenders knee and bounced up and hit arm. Arm raised at right angle above shoulders/head.

Yes corner.. i think ball came in attacker had a shot, ball hit defenders knee and bounced up and hit arm. Arm raised at right angle above shoulders/head.
Based on your description I say you made the right decision. Or at least you weren't clearly an obviously wrong.

Were you told by someone who you would normally trust to know the laws of the game, or by someone who thinks they know stuff?!

This happened to me in one my weekend games. Plenty of players in box. Defender who is pretty stationary had arms outstretched for some unknown reason. Weakish shot deflects off the defenders foot and up on to their arm. I gave the penalty. This came moments after ball deflected off arm of another player who had them down by their side (natural position).
My reasoning is that there was no reason I could see why the defender had his arms outstretched. I always try to find a reason to shout natural position, but couldn't in this instance. Hence penalty.

i‘m going to go a bit round about here. The natural position concept originally came about as a kind of deliberate. The idea was that when a player deliberately puts an arm in an unnatural place that take space away from a defender, any “accidental” contact really is deliberate—just disguised by the player. In my mind, that colors how we need to look at unnatural position and deflections. If the arm isn’t somewhere that it is taking space from where the ball is headed or likely to head, itks a pretty good clue the position is natural, as there is no other reason for it to be there.

One more thought As long as I’m rambling. It’s not uncommon for an accidental HB to become deliberate, as the ball touches the hand/arm accidentally, but the player then uses the arm to guide the ball.

As others have already mentioned, the clause about a deflection off the player's own body onto their arm not being a handball offence is not part of the laws any more. So it's no longer the kind of unequivocal decision that some have apparently been telling you it is.

It's now more of a referee's judgment call, and at least as far as the current wording of the law goes, is based pretty much exclusively on whether you think the arm position is justifiable based on the player's body movement.

Handball was always about if it deliberate or not (except for goal scored off it). It was a referee judgement call. In an effort to make it consistent the laws started changing to take the judgement out of it and make it prescriptive. This condition is deliberate and that conditions isn't etc. That didn't goo too well as it caused confusion has the opposite effect of consistency. Now we are going back towards judgement call for deliberateness. Even the condition of justifiable position (or natural position) is about delineateness. If it is not in a position it should be then it is a deliberate act.

So.... All need to do is judge if it was obviously deliberate or cunningly deliberate. If not, in the words of an ex member, "play on, next".

Back