A&H

AFC Asian Cup: Oman vs Australia Penalty

MIP

The referee gave a penalty but do you think he should have delayed his decision a little bit?

The Referee Store
Absolutely, and you can see this in the referee's body language. He immediately acknowledges it to the player.

We've all been there, just too quick on the whistle and the next moment you wished you'd waited.

There was an offside in the build up. :)

Itchy whistle finger by the ref. Been there.

Just because the player put it in, doesn't mean the ref should have played advantage. A penalty was a much better chance. The scorer still had a lot to to. I've blown for a pen only for a player to smack it in the top corner from 18 yards. Was I incorrect? No.
Advantage in the area is far more trouble than it's worth.

what would you give for the foul, just the penalty, penalty and caution or penalty and sending off

Unfortunately for the AR he has drifted out of position in line with the 2nd last defender... Tight mind.
Just because the player put it in, doesn't mean the ref should have played advantage. A penalty was a much better chance. The scorer still had a lot to to. I've blown for a pen only for a player to smack it in the top corner from 18 yards. Was I incorrect? No.
Advantage in the area is far more trouble than it's worth.
it happens very quickly so it would still be credible to take a second (literally) to see what is going to happen before blowing for the penalty.

Not like i have done exactly the same as the ref mind.... :) fairly recently...

This is similar to an incident that happened during the 2013 FIFA Confederation Cup match between Brazil and Italy. At first the referee whistled for a penalty but when he saw a goal has been scored he changed his decision and awarded a goal. But I am not sure if it was the right thing to do. There were no complains after the match. The match ended 4-2 in Brazil's favor.

If it was clear he has first given the penalty, then he had made a mistake to allow the goal. Guess it depends on how clear it was he had signalled for the penalty?

This was the match. Skip to 2.08. Referee points to the spot and after realizing Italy scored a goal, he changed the decision. Peter Drury great commentary.

Ooooo yes. Not his best bit of refereeing. He tried to make out he was giving the goal... But not quite pulled it off!

Reactions: MIP
This is similar to an incident that happened during the 2013 FIFA Confederation Cup match between Brazil and Italy. At first the referee whistled for a penalty but when he saw a goal has been scored he changed his decision and awarded a goal. But I am not sure if it was the right thing to do. There were no complains after the match. The match ended 4-2 in Brazil's favor.

How could you not be sure ? This is a technical mistake, when the ref blows the whistle he stops the game, the only two solutions here were penalty or drop ball

How could you not be sure ? This is a technical mistake, when the ref blows the whistle he stops the game, the only two solutions here were penalty or drop ball
I am not sure because I wanna hear from you guys.

I had something similar about a month ago, two defenders sandwich a striker and so I delay about 1/2 seconds to wait for an advantage ( this is all happening about 5 yards outside the penalty area and the defenders were the last 2). It looks as though there is no way the striker would make it through so I blow for the FK and as soon as I do the ball pops through the other side of the defenders leaving the attacker (who is still on his feet) 1 on 1 with the keeper. I was gutted and ended up apologising to the player. Oops. And of course nothing came from the free kick :(

Back