A&H

Applying for promotion

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
I have had a lengthy chat with the appointments secretary about applying for promotion ready for the new marking season.

He told me that to qualify to apply you have to of refereed a minimum of 20 11V11 matches before applying. :eek:

I knew you had to referee 20 open age matches during the marking season but not 20 before applying.

This is my first season back into refereeing and I haven't done many matches due to injury but will struggle to get the pre 20 matches in. He wouldn't tell me my marks but he did say that some games I was getting top marks and others were poor marks, and overall I was in the bottom quarter of marks across the league.

I'm now wondering should I even apply assuming I can get the 20 matches in just to apply.

The Referee Store
I would say that it would be better to apply if you can. Don't worry about the marks thing at all - no point fussing over something where you don't know all the facts (could be losing coaches being bitter and bringing your marks down etc). Promotion will be particularly helpful to you as you will receive at least 3 assessments which will help you to improve as a referee. Even if you can't get in 20 games, the assessments will be worth it regardless IMO

The 20 games before are just 11-a-side matches I believe, so not just open age? Does that mean this season alone or overall?
Personally I'm applying for promotion this season for the progression if possible obviously, but as mentioned above it'd be nice to get some feedback from assessors etc

Yes, they do have to be open age games. The 20 games are during the promotion season which goes from March 2014 to Feb 2015, so it does not have to be in the same season as long as the 20 games that you referee are in that timescale.

I was told yesterday about the 20 match pre-requirement. This was news to me and I am yet to see anything from Worcestershire FA, however I know the leagues ref sec will be in close contact with the CFA so he must know what he's talking about.

The 20 match pre-requirement is any age but has to be 11V11

You misunderstand I mean the criteria pre scheme those twenty games beforehand. Not the 20 that you do in promotion season

Oh ok. As mentioned, I also do not think that the 20 games before promotion can be any age 11v11 since I have been told that I will be able to go for promotion in my first season of adult football if I want to.

I asked about it and in Worcestershire it is any age for pre-requirements, but the 20 during promotion system is open age only.

WFA will accept any age as long as it's 11V11 but this could depend on county.

I think it's about time each county had a set criteria that is the same for everyone across the country.

i think you'd have to shoot a load of old, white guys first to achieve that, Steve :)

Just wondering Steve, have you thought of joining another league for next month or so to get to the 20 matches required? Or is the injury preventing doing so? As the centralised leagues I'm sure wouldn't mind an extra referee for a couple of months, and by that I mean say, mercian and/or stourport?

I have spoken to Mark he will give me middles to get them in, but I work Sundays and can't do them.

I am on holiday soon so will try and get 3 or 4 matches in that week.

I lost 4 weeks due to the injury problems, and it looks like it's going to bite me in the ass.

Just out of interest Steve, did/are you going for promotion or still undecided? Only asking due to the application e-mails being sent around and sent mine off about 5 minutes ago!

I'm going to apply as it says must of completed 20 matches in a registration period it doesn't say it has to be the season before.

Just out of interested how did you pay your £25 fee. I'm thinking of calling into the office on Friday morning.

I dropped mine into the office today along with the £25, had a chat with the CEO whilst I was there and a general chat with all the staff.

Also got the contact details of who to email regarding refereeing aboard.

Back