A&H

Appointments

bmill76

Level 7 Referee
Hello bit of a simple question but I am a newly qualified ref (4 games so far out of the 6) and wondered how I go about getting appointments to games. I have had an assessment on one of my games so far, would this hinder getting games with a league? Don't mind doing open age.
Thanks

The Referee Store
Just speak to your RDO, he will provide you with a list of league referee secretaries, though I am surprised that the RDO has not already done so.
Call them, say you have just qualified, and they will sort you some games.
Good luck

Hello bit of a simple question but I am a newly qualified ref (4 games so far out of the 6) and wondered how I go about getting appointments to games. I have had an assessment on one of my games so far, would this hinder getting games with a league? Don't mind doing open age.
Thanks
Hi. I suggest you give James Bell at ring at your County office and ask him for some contact numbers of your local leagues. Then it's a case of phoning a couple of leagues and telling them you are available. Please don't expect them to fall over themselves to get you games, as they may have a full list of referees already. Also some aren't always keen on taking brand new referees.

Please make sure you don't offer your services to more than one league in a single day as you may get a bad reputation if you start dropping games on one league in favour of another, when you've actually promised that day to the first league.

Finally, go find and join your local Referees Association. You may find someone at a meeting who can get you an introduction to a league and help you get games as well.

Whereabouts in S&H are you from? There are 14 adult leagues in the area (http://www.sheffieldfa.com/leagues/adult-leagues) so there's something for everyone. Plus there's the biggest (and probably best run) Youth league (Sheffield & District Junior League) in the country and an established Girls league, too. Youth or Adult, Saturday or Sunday, Barnsley or Rotherham, Sheffield or Doncaster, you won't be too far away from a game at the weekend.
You'd be very welcome at the Doncaster RA (Mal Dodd) and the Sheffield RA (Simon Hall) is excellent, too. (I'm sure Barnsley, Rotherham and some smaller ones are just as good but I have no experience of them).
As @Brian Hamilton suggests, give Belly/Craig Grundy a call at County FA (maybe not today as Craig's a Wednesday fan) but almost anyone there can give you some guidance. Get to know James and Craig as they can be useful allies if you're thinking of promotion in the years to come.

You could do worse than the DB Sports U18 League. (Sunday mornings)
Ref was a chap called Dave March, lovely bloke, will look after you.
Unless he's moved on since 2012

Back