A&H

Are Captains Crap - Or Is It Just Me? (Aka "Craptains")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Hi All,

I personally have yet to have a captain that has helped.

In any shape or form… Captains to me are useless talismans. They either stand in silence when you call them over to update them or to help with another of their players. Or 75% of the time, they are the mouthiest/worst/most aggressive player on the pitch.

I took so many notes and have added so much key/cool/genius stuff to my “start of the game chat” with the captains – and never once have they used it/joined in.

Maybe its not as genius as I thought it was.

I tell them, keep your players cool – you know who’ll lose their head first. If I call a player over and they ignore me – step in, or ill escalate. Etc etc. I give them so many tips, I try to keep them on my side, I try to use them – but they are just useless.

Especially the ones that see the captaincy as some sort of official channel of abuse. They’ll keep coming over and abusing me – ill wave them away and they’ll *always* say “But I'm the captain, I'm the only player on my team who is allowed by the rules to address you whenever I want”.

Or when they REALLY annoy me with their constant moaning – I just ignore them.

Then you get the “Cheers ref” sarcasm and the invisible rule making like “I think you’ll find the rules say you always have to answer questions from the captain”.

Can you tell the manager to switch the armband through a game? Haha

I've begun just addressing the field with ‘updates’ and the such – so that everyone knows my position on stuff, rather than expecting the captain to do it – or step in when someone breaches things I've just said.

Any advice for handling crap captains?

I'm now going to refer to them as… Craptains.

The Referee Store
coming from a guy who has 'respect' written three times at the bottom of his posts....:rolleyes:;)
Respect your efforts
Respect yourself
Self respect leads to self-discipline

None of the above applies to anyone other than me. Let alone 'Ceremonial' Captains.

Im hoping this is merely a geographical/level thing. The higher I climb the better they'll be.

Dont get me wrong, not 100% of them are awful/bad people, just none of them have helped

They might be nice people, polite, congratulate my game - all the above is great - but ive never seen a captain pulling a player away from me - or stopping them mid-rant "Before their mouth gets them into trouble" sort of thing.

They just dont seem to play the part that my old captains at all my clubs used to do.

I had a massive amount of respect for all the captains ive had in all the sports ive played - because they've earned it and proved why they are in the position they are.

It seems that my divisional standard of captain is "Biggest Guns", "Been Here The Longest" or "Lowest Skin to Tattoo Ratio"

My 'team' in a game of football should be Me + 2x AR + 2x Managers + 2x Captains. I appreciate its not quite 11 men, but my team of 7 should be good enough to go against any 11 :D

When its 1 versus 24 (11x2 + managers), then it becomes a bit unbearable.

Theres nothing better than a random player telling his team to "shut up" and "you know it was a foul" or "what have you got to complain about!?"

We should have the power to appoint new captains throughout the game! :)

I had one good one and one bad one on Saturday ........the good 1 got a yellow for dissent against my assistant the bad 1 got a yellow for dissent then a straight Red for calling me a W .......R ! :cry:

The good one apologised as soon as he said it but I told him in the context of the game there was no way he was getting away with it

Be fair @HertsFinest Haywain can start an argument with himself about what colour underpants he decided to put on that morning, the facts why, the opinions for and against and the opinions for and against changing them.:D:p

i had a blinder of a ref the other week...single handedly stopped about 2 reds for his team...his clunterpart wasnt exactly shabby either though...shame about the remaining 10 players on each side

better to be talked about, hey lads.........and i'll almost invariably challenge racism, sexism, bullying and numpties who clearly have no solid grasp of the rules of the game or the lotg..........

Last edited:
Enough nonsense. This has probably run its course anyway, so gonna close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back