A&H

Arms

Mick.

RefChat Addict
First assessment for this season. Post game feedback was pretty good but I was picked up for my signals, which he said were poor. He said I got them the wrong way round. I have always indicated a throe in with my arm at 45 degrees (like holding a flag) and a DFK with my arm level with the ground. The assessor said that the throw in signal should be along the ground and free kicks at 45 degrees. The book doesn't really help as it looks like a DFK is in between level and 45degrees!

The Referee Store
I've often mucked this up as well. I think your assessor is correct though. An easy one to fix :)

if this is all he picked you up on, then you've done well. This sort of comment is made when the bottom of the barrel is being scraped. It's when they say you miss offences, give the wring restart and fail to take mandatory disciplinary action that you need to worry.

I do all my arm signals at 45 degrees (aside from goal kick) and every assessment I have ever had has noted my arm signals as excellent.

Goal kicks I use a low under arm, Palm showing point. Helpful for neutral assistants to differentiate between corner and goal kicks.

Sounds good if that's all he didn't like!

45 degrees? that high? Really? I've never seen a referee do that. 45 degrees is what the AR signals, roughly!!

Interesting to note the book doesn't have a TI signal (and the DFK signal seems to be pointing forwards).

Unfortunately I suspect that the arms isn't the only thing that he was worried about, but I will no doubt find out when the report comes in. I did get sucked in to dealing with a dissent after a reckless tackle by the stripes' goalie rather than deal with the goalie. By the time I'd finished dealing with the gobby centre back arguing that it wasn't a foul I had forgotten that it was in fact a stone wall yellow.
I always thought that the TI signal for refs was the same as ARs (i.e. 45) but it certainly looks as though that is not the case. How do others signal throw ins? I shall have to start looking at the telly.

For me it's TI with a slightly above horizontal arm and free kick nearer 45... and of course I use I full palm 'point' as opposed to the 1 fingered technique... :p

Back