A&H

Arsenal v Brighton

Ryanj91

Thoughts on the disallowed goal?

I believe it took 4 and a half minutes to conclude that they have no angles to use to draw lines as per commentary relaying the information to viewers, yet they disallowed it.

Why didn't they stick with the on field decision in this case (onside).

The Referee Store
Can’t see why they didn’t stay with the onfield decision here, it took 4 minutes and they couldn’t even find a reference to draw line it was that close

If it takes that long to come to a decision like that then go back to onfield decision and give benefit of the doubt to the attacker

A time limit sounds good on paper, but it will cause mistakes to be made. What if the VAR has to check multiple offside decisions or a pk and offside. What if they don't look at the best camera angle right away?

We just had an incident in MLS last week where the VAR sent down a decision for a PK and never looked at a different camera angle that clearly showed the ref made the right decision. Everyone on this forum knows better than anyone that angle is everything. Same applies to var.

Understandable discussion on the VAR decision but what is the basis to let Trossard's goal stand? He's offside when the balls is passed to Mwepu, then gets back inside, Mwepu passed and he scores.

Still haven’t seen this. Is it really the case that the on-field decision was goal, VAR had no angles, no evidence, but the decision was changed to no goal, really?

This is the evidence they used. Make of that what you will... To me it looks offside and I'm an Arsenal fan . View attachment 5590

its offside, and, an offside I would be expecting to flag without any tech.

the freezeframe as we know does not have the accurate angle but the ar really should be half a yard further to the goal line

unless I missed it, the ar never flagged.

35 is the player who scored the goal. The foot looks like it's defender's. I think what matters is that it's the only foot making Martinelli (35) offside.

As for the the AR flagging it without the tech - sorry, in real time, the speed of action, the ball kept bouncing here and there, there is no way it would be visible to the naked eye.

35 is the player who scored the goal. The foot looks like it's defender's. I think what matters is that it's the only foot making Martinelli (35) offside.

As for the the AR flagging it without the tech - sorry, in real time, the speed of action, the ball kept bouncing here and there, there is no way it would be visible to the naked eye.

So pre VAR, or championship, this is simply a goal?

Absolutely. It took them 5 minutes to figure it out with VAR.

The Ar unless I have missed it, does not flag. Therefore, he has either went, legal goal ( by standing exactly where he is, we dont know his communication but he is certainly not moving away from the goal line), or, he has went, I dont know.

VAR is not in place for, I dont know. Its drummed into us its not in place to re-referee games.

the process in place is surely, in goal scoring situations, the ar, has to either flag offside and var then go, yip, offside, or, not offside, goal.

if the ar has not made a call ( which appears to be the case here), there is no error to correct!

the ar procedure at scoring of a goal is not, stand exactly where you are and do nothing

unless there is something undisclosed going on, this certainly looks like, var, call this because we cant.

I’m lost. Surely that defender’s foot makes 35 onside?

Looks like a goal to me. Weird.

EDIT: I am a cast iron plum

Last edited:
It took a long time because it was a complex one. They seemingly checked for a foul, then whether it was the Arsenal player or Brighton defender that headed it back across goal, and then whether Martinelli was offside. I can only see one defending foot ahead of Martinelli, but we can't really see where Cucurella's feet are.

Back