A&H

Arsenal v Burnley

The Referee Store
Crickey. Looks like offside, pen, RC to me.

The pen player reaction doesn’t help himself but ref is poorly positioned and static.

Guendoozy doesn’t react (out of suprise?) and maybe the ref’s view gets blocked.

But that offside!!!

Assistant must have been blinded by the number of players in an offside position...
It probably is a penalty as both both hands shouldn't be on the player's back. Be interesting to see if there's any retrospective stuff for the foot on the chest. I'd expect a charge, although it escaped Sean Dyche's attention and post match wittering

Is that a 'stamp', really? More like a 'get your foot off him and stop being an idiot', a 'stamp' needs downward force, there isn't any. I'm giving that penalty though and it was a poor offside decision but all depends on assistant's line of sight.

Is that a 'stamp', really? More like a 'get your foot off him and stop being an idiot', a 'stamp' needs downward force, there isn't any. I'm giving that penalty though and it was a poor offside decision but all depends on assistant's line of sight.
This would have been a VC charge at one time. Maybe not any more. Barnes certainly gave it some consideration though!

I called the offside live, from the midway camera angle. Poor ARing. The stepping up by defenders caught the attackers AND the AR off guard.

Not giving the pen. Its a 50-50 for me. Hands in the back is not a foul. there was just as much attacker pushing back into the defender as the defender 'fending him off'. The clumsy falling to the ground was a give away too. What is a defender to do if an attacker runs backward into him?

No red card for me either. Not enough force. Mind you it doesn't take much force for a red when one uses their studs but this was 'negligible' to use LOTG terminology.

I called the offside live, from the midway camera angle. Poor ARing. The stepping up by defenders caught the attackers AND the AR off guard.

and of course one other person..... we applaud refs for being tuned in enough to "ignore" incorrect AR flags, we never look to the ref to give correct offside though...

Offside and penalty for me. However, I've watched the "stamp" clip several times and to me it looks like the Arsenal player has grabbed the ball as soon as he's fouled and the Burnley player tries to get the ball off him. The foot contact is only with the ball so not VC for me; nothing at all in fact.

Last edited:
Offside, yep. Penalty is an easy one too. Ref probably had no vision but as an assessor I'd be slamming him for not bothering to move - ref was out of position, got lazy and missed it. The AR should have been able to pull that one up, but given what he's just missed, presumable the AR has turned around to chat up some cute girl in the front row or something, who knows. Ref and AR have both failed their KMI for me.

As for the stamp - at first I thought it was on the torso, but given some of the comments on here it might not be at all. While I'm not advocating this should be relevant to the referee's actions, I feel like the player on the ground would have had a bigger reaction if it was a stamp. But I'm not convinced it was a dive either, could have been contact.

Back