A&H

Arsenal v Leicester

Your Decision?

• Total voters
UEFA tried instituting this a number of years back (maybe 2007? Not sure, but I think it was leading into a EURO competition). The referees didn't really implement it that much, so it fell back off the radar fairly promptly...

Too bad, it was a good idea I thought.

Thing is, how is that any different from Darren Fletcher charging at the referee any time a teammate is fouled?
Running up to the referee screaming for a card is just as bad as waving the imaginary card.

The Referee Store
I'm leaning on the side of no penalty here, although my instinct call was 100% penalty. This falls down to the argument I've heard many times before (and heard the unemployed Tim Sherwood repeat on MOTD2) - "He is entitled to go down".

Under what circumstance is a player entitled to go down?
I think the answer to that is, "When he has been fouled and it would require him to go to unusual lengths to stay on his feet."

For me, that is what happened here. The freeze frame of the moment just before contact between the two players is misleading. From my viewing of the incident (both in real time and including all the replays) Monreal does not just stand his ground, he steps across into Vardy's path (with the "wrong" leg, I might add) and Vardy has little or no chance to avoid him. In my opinion, it is the normal running movement of Vardy's left leg that brings it into contact with Monreal and as far as I am concerned, Vardy would have had to have been some kind of contortionist and twisted his body in a highly unusual way, to avoid being brought down.

Has plenty of opportunity to avoid him, just chooses not to.

Atkinson got conned. It happens.

Maybe his assistant could've helped out, although I doubt it as Atkinson never even hesitated in awarding the penalty.

Has plenty of opportunity to avoid him, just chooses not to.

Atkinson got conned. It happens.

Maybe his assistant could've helped out, although I doubt it as Atkinson never even hesitated in awarding the penalty.
Sorry Padfoot, those may be your opinions (even though you seem to prefer trying to make your opinions sound like they are some kind of absolute truth) but as I said, my view of it is totally different. I don't think Atkinson was conned, I think he got it spot on and I believe Vardy had no realistic way to avoid the contact.

But you know, to quote an old saying:
'Tis with our judgments as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own.

I can see how some would think it a pen (and I like most thought it was on first viewing)
I'm surprised, however, that anyone thinks Vardy could not have evaded this tackle if he wanted to

One reason I think Vardy wasn't conning is that he's only looking at the ball, and seems to be attempting to change direction.

Back