A&H

Back to it....

The Referee Store
Reserve Cup 2-3.

Two penalties, one caution, played in good spirit. Didn't have a good night's sleep before the match and I think it showed, but the players let me off the hook a lot. :)

Pretty disappointed with that though, but we soldier on!

Yesterday’s game a 3-0 romp for the home team in a league game with very little to do.

This morning OA County Cup QF, edgy, niggly game 1-1 in normal time. 5-3 win for the away team on pens. 4 cautions including one who ran at me from 30 yards to mouth off and then seemed genuinely surprised when he got cautioned for it.

Disclosure time: I work at what you might, in this thread, describe as a “Posh” school, and whilst we might not be as “posh” school @PinnerPaul describes, we are better at Football than them (if I’m guessing correctly, we beat them earlier in the year). In fact, I would describe us as amongst the top footballing schools in the country (both state & Independent)

Although “only” a mere maths teacher, I have been heavily involved in the school’s football, acting as fixtures Secretary for a number of years, and am now “chief referee” for want of a better term.

My only bugbear is that, as our 1st XI play in high status leagues & cups, I only get to ref the in friendlies and have to arrange neutral officials for most of their games. However, our 2nd XI are also of a high standard and I get to officiate some great games with teams, that on the whole, want to play football.

All the above is not to blow my own trumpet, but to highlight that there are some great opportunities out there for you as a referee: the pitches will be as good as any in the country, you will be well looked after and the standard of football can be very, very high. If you are interested, and in the south west, I’m always looking for additional referees - we play on Wednesday and Saturday afternoon’s- if you’re not in the South West I’m happy to point you in the direction (and possibly give you contact details) of the big and best football playing Independent Schools in your area.

(And Paul, your right, everyone adult is old to a 14 yr old schoolboy!)

I would be interested - though I'm taking a very wild swing and thinking Millfield for SW and good at sports? Probably too far for me.

I would be interested - though I'm taking a very wild swing and thinking Millfield for SW and good at sports? Probably too far for me.

You'd also need to make sure you had a current DBS Enhanced Certificate if you're not already (legally) doing youth football. ;) :)

You'd also need to make sure you had a current DBS Enhanced Certificate if you're not already (legally) doing youth football. ;):)
Legally? It is an FA stipulation that a DBS check Is needed to referee youth football.....it is not the law, just safeguarding policy! (and actually unnecessary as there is not 'significant' contact)

Legally? It is an FA stipulation that a DBS check Is needed to referee youth football.....it is not the law, just safeguarding policy! (and actually unnecessary as there is not 'significant' contact)
The coach that rammed it up a tree yesterday had significant contact!! He should have hung from his balls!!! At least he's saved the taxpayer further expense!!

Alright, so I put the word legally in brackets rather than inverted commas! :rolleyes:
It's still a requirement irrespective of it's origins, and FWIW, I don't like the daft overly cautious "Nanny State" stipulation any more than you do.
Fact remains that if you're going to referee youth football, you're meant to declare as such when you register for the season - in which case your County website won't permit it without a current registered DBS certificate recorded. Well ... mine didn't. :cool:

Alright, so I put the word legally in brackets rather than inverted commas! :rolleyes:
It's still a requirement irrespective of it's origins, and FWIW, I don't like the daft overly cautious "Nanny State" stipulation any more than you do.
Fact remains that if you're going to referee youth football, you're meant to declare as such when you register for the season - in which case your County website won't permit it without a current registered DBS certificate recorded. Well ... mine didn't. :cool:
As I said, policy.

Assisted on a Supply League game today. Two games in the middle tomorrow. Quarter-Final of County FA Youth Cup in the morning then a nice 30 mile drive to game 2. At I’ve gog least Assistants on the latter one!

A rare Supply League middle today, cracking game decided by an injury time winner. And then a County Vets Cup semi final tomorrow ... followed by a long hot bath!!

I had my first game since September yesterday following a knackered hamstring.

Junior assistant on a local league cup game, hard work, I've put on a bit out poundage whilst I've been out, but good to be back and hopefully won't be too long til I get my match fitness back.

Got a local women's premier div game this afternoon, should be a good run out

I did my first game yesterday.

It was an U14's game. Top of the table clash and there was easily 60-70 people there watching so I was thrown in at the deep end a little bit.

Went well enough though, I got some nice compliments off both teams managers. Not that that really matters.

I made a couple of errors early on with trying to be too quick with my decisions but settled quite nicely into it once a gave myself a few seconds. Cracking game as well, 3-2 with a late winner coming for the home team.

No cards.

My first game back was a totally uneventful U18s academy friendly as AR - had one offside, 6 throws and one 'down to me' corner/gk decision in the whole game!

My games went off without a hitch.

Saturday fairly close cup match, I managed to go flat on my backside in the first minute while flagging for an offside.

Not much happened until the 94th minute where a player was sent off for VC and then allegedly headbutted a member of the opposition.

Sunday, good competitive game on a very windy 4g pitch.

Fitness wasn't as bad as I'd feared although there's still a lot of work today

After a relatively quiet time - 1 game since before Christmas, the fixtures are starting to come through - never evenly spaced though ;- last week of this month, first of Feb I have 7 games in 9 days!

6 games in 5 days includes one line 2 OA(1 womens) U18 friendly U16 boys and U16 girls.

Back