A&H

Backpass

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Hi guys,
I was AR on a friendly last night and the blue defender tried to hook the ball away but ended up kicking it straight up into the air and the goalkeeper catches the ball. The yellows were screaming (literally) for a backpass but the referee said "no" immediately.

Just wanted to clarify that this was right as my understanding is that it has to be a deliberate pass to the gk for it to be an IDFK?

I am 99% sure I am right on this but can anyone doubly confirm this?

The Referee Store
Even when the US took a more strict view on "back passes," this would not have been an offense, as the ball was miskicked rather than being deliberately kicked anywhere.

And never forget the rule of thumb for "back passes"--when in doubt, it's not an offense.

Hi guys,
I was AR on a friendly last night and the blue defender tried to hook the ball away but ended up kicking it straight up into the air and the goalkeeper catches the ball. The yellows were screaming (literally) for a backpass but the referee said "no" immediately.

Just wanted to clarify that this was right as my understanding is that it has to be a deliberate pass to the gk for it to be an IDFK?

I am 99% sure I am right on this but can anyone doubly confirm this?
The intent was to clear the ball, not deliberately kick it to the goalkeeper. This is not an offence at all, and play on is correct.

Over the years players at my level seemed to have grasped this one and weren’t screaming for FKs like when it first came out. Some would say it but in hope (jest) not expectation!

Back