A&H

Best training with low joint impact

I tend to get sore knees and ankles very easily, and always feel like I'm not far away from shin splints.

Part of the solution to this is ditching some of my extra weight, but also wondering if anybody else here has similar problems, and if you've found a really effective way of training for matches while saving joints and shins for the impact they will put up with during the match.

The Referee Store
If you do running, I would get my running gait looked at. If you overpronate and are wearing the wrong shoes, it can affect your knees, ankles and hips. I found that I overpronate and sorted out the right running shoes and this helped. I then moved onto trail running which has a lower impact on the joints (especially in the wet muddy area we have at the minute) and have been doing fine. I would also get myself looked at by a physiotherapist. A couple of years ago I had pains in my knees, went along to a physio to find that for my left knee I needed to do a hamstring stretch slightly differently to the way I had been doing it, and for my right knee problem I just had to load the thigh muscle up by doing one legged squats (and now running). I have to say it worked a treat and if I start to get knee pain (which is very rare now) I do some squats and go for a run. A good physio should be able to identify the cause and offer the correction. Although as mentioned above, low impact aerobid exercise like swimming, rowing, cycling should help.

Back