A&H

Bit of a shocker this morning

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Had my first game of the year today, and I feel like I had a shocker.

I don't think there was anything major, just a few little things which added up.

The main two things were my positioning and communication with player.

The communication is an on going theme, which I am working on and slowly making progress.
The positioning I think came about because in my last games before Christmas I was a bit too close to play and subsequently ended up getting in the way a few times.

Today I seem to have gone a bit too far the other way, and may have missed some stuff because of this.

I also understand one of the teams is giving me a a very low mark, though I doubt it's the first and it wont be the last.

Still the only way is up.

The Referee Store
as long as you realise you didnt have a great game thats ok, you seem to have identified the things you want to improve on, dont beat yourself up about it

Communication with players is overrated.

You don't have to keep up a running commentary with the players......speak to them when they need to be spoken to and don't get sucked into believing that you have say something about every decision.

You don't have to keep up a running commentary with the players......speak to them when they need to be spoken to and don't get sucked into believing that you have say something about every decision.

'sucked in' is a good phrase here. Proactive communication CAN be a good tool, but you will come across players that once you engage with them, use it as a cue to start questioning everything. Sometimes ignoring a question is the best thing to do - as the player will just give up after that.

Plus some questions you are never going to 'win' with, so why bother? "Tell me why that was a foul" - you know in the tone that this question is asked that there's no point getting involved.

This is good advice. Many players use this as an opportunity to take the proverbial. I never explain decisions, unless the captain specifically requests.

Lots of players try to have an on field discussion with you about their latest challenge/challenge on them/decision you made whilst the ball is in play. Once or twice I've allowed myself to momentarily become distracted by it whilst play has been ongoing and moving away from me. Potential disaster area.
I'm careful now to exchange a quick word or two with players if the situation allows ie goal kick, throw in etc. but generally wave away any attempt at "discussion" with me during active play. :)

I recall a fairly straight answer from the 'Great White' once upon a time (Marco Pierre if you were wondering), which was something along the lines of "I don't have to justify my decision...just accept it". Tried it a couple of times myself during a game...answer there came none! :) As long as you say it in a calm and assertive manner, there's not really much anyone can respond with. It also gives a clear message that you're not interested in getting into a debate. So I would use it as early as possible, if you get the chance. I don't mind a bit of friendly banter if players are behaving themselves, but the second anyone crosses the line, I recommend sending a clear message to any offenders. Players and club officials alike need to accept that mistakes are part of the game and constantly questioning a referee's decision ruins everyone's enjoyment, if it's allowed to continue unchecked. Good luck in your next game, I'm sure your communication will improve with experience. I've been at it for nearly 20 years now and I'm still looking for improvements. Who knows, one day I might even see one! ;)

I took on board someone else's tip to be quite vocal/loud at the first few decisions whatever they might be so players get used to your voice and get to know that you are in charge. Seems to be working for me.
I agree about not justifying your decisions, they never stop you to tell you what a great decision you just make only to pick an argument. Ignore them and move away an if they chase after you then a loud rebuke or a card.

I don't get involved in regular explanations with players but will sometimes tell a player that I'll explain after the game if he really wants to know - they never do. I'll also sometimes say "it was a trip" or something like that in passing or if the ball is out of play.
I'm careful about being too officious in case a player really wants to know. About 15 years ago I had a game really kick off because I wouldn't explain a decision.
A player really didn't know what he'd done and got frustrated because I wouldn't tell him, so jumped 2-footed at an opponent and almost cut his leg in two.
I had thirty players, subs etc standing round glaring and swearing at each other waiting for an ambulance, when 30 seconds before it had been a dream game. Not a bad tackle, no cautions, no problem. One arrogant referee later it had all gone pear shaped.
Not my fault, but if I'd said three words (you tripped him) the player would have known. He may not have agreed but it would have slowed the game down and he may not have seriously injured someone. The opponent never played again.
If a player really wants to know, I don't have a problem with telling them, but it's on my terms. It really depends on how the question is asked and whether I think it's genuine.

I like to (try to) educate players on some fouls. Like those that think getting a stud on the ball then wiping out a player is okay.
Cards obviously should be explained if requested. (Usually they know what they did).
Comments like "how is that a foul?" will be met with great disinterest.

WHERE is play going to go?
WHERE can I go to get the best view of it?
GO!!!

This is the heart of preemptive positioning. If the ball is going to quickly move, then start moving first - into a spot where you'll have a partially side-on view.

Had my first game of the year today, and I feel like I had a shocker.

I don't think there was anything major, just a few little things which added up.

The main two things were my positioning and communication with player.

The communication is an on going theme, which I am working on and slowly making progress.
The positioning I think came about because in my last games before Christmas I was a bit too close to play and subsequently ended up getting in the way a few times.

Today I seem to have gone a bit too far the other way, and may have missed some stuff because of this.

I also understand one of the teams is giving me a a very low mark, though I doubt it's the first and it wont be the last.

Still the only way is up.
Can you be any more specific on the communication side of things?

What did you feel was wrong? What do you want to change?

I was too quiet and my arm signals were too timid.

I think it comes down to lack of confidence due to a lack of experience, coupled with just having a bad day.

I need to be more assertive on the pitch, and to stop dwelling on decisions I've already made as I then lose focus on the game.

I know that I know the laws and can apply them correctly, I just need to get more games out of the way I think.

I was too quiet and my arm signals were too timid.

I think it comes down to lack of confidence due to a lack of experience, coupled with just having a bad day.

I need to be more assertive on the pitch, and to stop dwelling on decisions I've already made as I then lose focus on the game.

I know that I know the laws and can apply them correctly, I just need to get more games out of the way I think.

Fake it. Seriously.

Confidence is not an appearance, it's a mindset. Tell yourself you are confident, make positive, confident gestures and confidence will breed within you.

Fake it. Seriously.

Confidence is not an appearance, it's a mindset. Tell yourself you are confident, make positive, confident gestures and confidence will breed within you.
Yeah, to be fair my confidence had been improving, but it was just a bad weekend for me in general and I felt like I was always a step behind the game, if that makes sense.

Still, onwards and upwards, need to try and get myself a game this weekend so I can get straight back on the horse, so to speak.

Back