A&H

Blatter.

The Referee Store
Absolutely ridiculous.

Even more proof that the corrupt old bugger should be put out to pasture as soon as possible.

The man is a fool. Just hoping that somebody at least slightly better challenges him for the next presidency!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say in principle I agree with this. At the top level football is a business and the financial rewards for teams are vast.

The Championship playoff final is billed as the £100m game, the winner gets promoted and the Premier League TV money, plus parachute payments even if they come down.

One bad decision by a referee, for whatever reason, bad angle, obscured view etc could lead to a different outcome of the game. Ultimately at the top level, if there is a way of ensuring that we get the right result, then I'm all for it.

Ohhh and in other sports where it's been brought in, it actually highlights the ability of the referee, as more often than not it vindicates the original decision.

Thank god for Justy. Until I read his reply I thought I had wandered into a luddite conference.

You honestly believe that giving the managers the ability to question the referees decision, make the referee come over to the technical area, stand and watch a replay and then expect the referee to change their mind about what could a crucial decision, is going to be a good thing?

The managers will expect the referee to alter their decision, otherwise why bother to challenge it, which means the players will expect the decision to change......imagine the reaction when the referee sticks with his original call?

Can only threaten his match control, incite dissent and just generally turn the game into a farce.

Any referee who genuinely thinks this is the way forward is nuttier than squirrel turds,

I imagine that some backward looking Victorians made similar comments when referees were introduced into the football league....and that idea about giving them pea whistles instead of handkerchiefs to get the players attention surely led to many players going permanently deaf.

This idea of Sepp's may need some fine or even not so fine tuning but the way forward rarely involves standing still.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place here. Do I agree with @Padfoot or @haywain?!?!

Oh dear. It's too late to make such a vital decision.

I fear that I actually agree with Haywain & Justy!

*off to commit suicide*

Still with padfoot on this

Soon if it carries on (2 years we've had GLT and spray) then we won't need a referee. Just Hawkeye and a computer.

If implemented properly it has worked in other sports. American eggball it works brilliantly, tennis it works, rugby (both codes), cricket - adds to the excitement/tension even of the game. But these games have added it in a way which is unobtrusive to the actual game play.

How would that translate to football?

If implemented properly it has worked in other sports. American eggball it works brilliantly, tennis it works, rugby (both codes), cricket - adds to the excitement/tension even of the game. But these games have added it in a way which is unobtrusive to the actual game play.

How would that translate to football?

I don't.think it would as football is different to the above in that it is much faster, more free flowing and less stoppages. This is why it is the biggest spectator sport in the world... And why it is the beautiful game. Anything to slow this down to me, is like taking a crap in football fans kettles.

Not going to count Amercian 'Football' as they have about a gazillion officials on the field and still need one watching tv?

In Rugby the video referees are used to check if a score has been made....we have GLT, so that's already sorted.

In cricket and tennis, the games are naturally slower paced and have lots of natural breaks in play so the game isn't delayed or broken up by utilising a video ref.
Also, the ball in those games is moving at speeds that pushes the limits of human eyesight.

Football does not need a video referee.....all it will do is erode match officials confidence in themselves. Can you imagine making a mistake mid game, champions league final, having to overturn your own decision......how is the rest of your game going to go?

Red manager thinks his player has been fouled, ref gives nothing, play continues, 5 mins later ball goes out of play for a blue GK, manager challenges the referee, video shows he was actually fouled.......what now?

Looking on the positive side, managers, coaches and players might even learn the laws of the game which, arguably, will improve things considerably for referees.....though some referees might also have to learn the lotg....and apply them consistently....much to the delight of Mr Padfoot for one, methinks.

This is a difficult one. Implemented correctly, this kind of thing could be beneficial.

At what point does it completely undermine the referee though? Perhaps have certain technology, a referee in the stands looking at offside decisions for example could work. Take DRS in international cricket, the majority of teams review a decision for the sake of it, knowing full well it won't be successful. All that does is interrupt the game, we would have to avoid that.

Having said that, technology should be there to aid the referee, not undermine. Referees are human, we all make mistakes, as do the players; that's part of the game that we all love. Get it right, and it could be fantastic, but get it wrong and it has the potential to ruin games.

Graham Poll likes the idea of video help for refs, bbc sport website this a.m. since players are 'more deceitful than ever'

Back