A&H

Blocking of goalkeeper during corner kicks

samogonochka

Level 3 Referee
In sunday football there are many occasions when attacking players are trying to crowd around goalkeeper with a view to obstruct his movements. At these moments often defenders and keepers themselves start pushing attackers away, and attackers usually very persistent in trying to obstruct keepers.
How do you deal with situations like that? from one side, every player has rights for a place on the pitch. from another, obvious obstruction is not legal.. as well as pushing attackers players is not legal either...
thanks for any comments

The Referee Store
Start with every player is entitled to be where they want to be for the CK--as long as it doesn't involve moving another player. If there is pushing, you delay the CK and deal with it--but there cannot be a foul as the ball is not in play. (It could result in a caution if it is extreme enough--but that would be rare.)

An impeding foul involves moving into the path of an opponent. What we often see on a CK is the player who wanted to be close to the GK moves to block the GKs path as soon as the ball is kicked--if so, that's a foul that referees need to call. (Keep in mind that the forward has just as much right to run toward the landing spot of the ball as the GK does--what the R should be looking for is a path that is an effort to get in the GKs way instead of to get to the ball.) And it usually only takes calling it once to end the tactic for the day. When I see this is likely to happen, I get close in than usual and watch primarily that when the CK is taken.

Grassroots tactics or youth. Here is how I deal with it. Look for it in the first corner each side. First sign of it I shout "I'm looking". If continues before the corner kick I pause play, go to the location, "you are both entitled to your space. Keeper you push him after the kick, it's a penalty. And you (attacker) if keeper moves and you move in front of him you waste the corner kick". This generally works. I have always backed it up with action. Never had to give a penalty but free kicks to keeper's team plenty of times. Make sure you blow the whistle before the ball reached the area. I don't remember having to give a free kick for it twice in a game. Early free kick sends the right message.

Start with every player is entitled to be where they want to be for the CK--as long as it doesn't involve moving another player. If there is pushing, you delay the CK and deal with it--but there cannot be a foul as the ball is not in play. (It could result in a caution if it is extreme enough--but that would be rare.)

An impeding foul involves moving into the path of an opponent. What we often see on a CK is the player who wanted to be close to the GK moves to block the GKs path as soon as the ball is kicked--if so, that's a foul that referees need to call. (Keep in mind that the forward has just as much right to run toward the landing spot of the ball as the GK does--what the R should be looking for is a path that is an effort to get in the GKs way instead of to get to the ball.) And it usually only takes calling it once to end the tactic for the day. When I see this is likely to happen, I get close in than usual and watch primarily that when the CK is taken.

I'd agree with this but would also say that a failure to attempt to play the ball (even if standing still) would be impeding as well. Imagine the tactic of having 4 attackers (one on each side of goalie, up tight on goalie to prevent movement). If all 4 box in the goalie and fail to move to play the ball, I would also call that impeding. To me that's the same as moving into the path of the goalie and stopping.

I'd agree with this but would also say that a failure to attempt to play the ball (even if standing still) would be impeding as well. Imagine the tactic of having 4 attackers (one on each side of goalie, up tight on goalie to prevent movement). If all 4 box in the goalie and fail to move to play the ball, I would also call that impeding. To me that's the same as moving into the path of the goalie and stopping.

Standing in one place doesn't meet the definition of impeding in Law 12:

Impeding the progress of an opponent without contact
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.
All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

If a player near the keeper just stands still, it's up to the GK to go around. If four player try to box the GK before the kick, I'm going to get involved and let the GK get out before the kick is taken and take the air out of the conflict. If multiple players are trying to be in the way of the kick once the kick is taken, it is virtually impossible to do that without moving--and knuckleheads trying to do that don't get the benefit of the doubt. (But here in the real world, I don't think I've ever seen more than two players try to antagonize a keeper on a CK.)

Even if you don't want to call it impeding, in my opinion you can call it as holding. Up till 2016, the laws contained the following definition of holding:
Holding an opponent includes the act of preventing him from moving past or around using the hands, the arms or the body.
I know that definition isn't there any more but I think it's still accurate (and was only removed, along with various other things, as part of the effort to shorten the laws, rather than because it was invalid).

Agree with all of this - but my personal favourite after the warnings... a double blow... 1 for the corner to be taken, and then 1 immediately as the CK has been struck - then the smug look and quip “gents - I did warn you” 😂🤣

Back