A&H

Bolton vs Cheltenham

SammyT5

Level 7 Referee
Incident starts around 1:15 and ends around 1:30.

This goal was given as offside last night in the Bolton vs Cheltenham game. As a Bolton fan I’m incredibly cautious of passing much judgement on this one, but I think the argument being made is that one of the Cheltenham attackers impedes a Bolton defender, therefore interfering with an opponent. Just for some additional context, the referee initially made the call before going over to confirm with the linesman, who raised his flag only after the referee had stopped play.

I just wondered what everyone else thought as I’ve seen a lot about it on social media. I’m aware it’s not the best angle to judge the offside but it’s the best one I could find.

The Referee Store
Whatever the issue is, I can't see it on that video. Player who heads it looks onside

Well the player who scored certainly wasn't offside, as per the image below. I'm struggling to see who else could have possibly been deemed to have committed an offside offence.

I'm certain the referee didn't make the call though, there's no way he could from his position. The assistant might have asked who played the ball over comms, but his flag goes up very quickly, almost as soon as the goal scorer has turned round to look at him.

1706134137985.png

IMG_8480.jpeg

I’m not sure if this angle really helps at all, particularly with the massive white arrow some Twitter user has rather ‘helpfully’ drawn for everyone, but the claim is that player is offside?

From the clip I’m struggling to see an offence even if the player indicated is in an offside position as the defenders close to him never have the opportunity to play the ball, therefore cannot see how they commit any of the possible interfering with an opponent criteria.

View attachment 7087

I’m not sure if this angle really helps at all, particularly with the massive white arrow some Twitter user has rather ‘helpfully’ drawn for everyone, but the claim is that player is offside?
Unless we can see when the ball was played this means absolutely nothing.

I think there's a Bolton defender at the back playing the scorer on at least, there may have been 1 or 2 reds in offside position but not offending. I think the main problem is the AR has 3 red players probably shielding the Bolton defender from his view.

Certainly the referee does not make the call the AR flags. They are told not to flag now when consultation is needed.

Back